What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to do a circular gradient?

Trudeo

Hello! I am trying to create a circular gradient for a ball similar to the one we can find in OSX (see image below). I have created the ball (see attachments View attachment Ball.psd) but I can't find a way to create a gradient that goes around the circle. Why can I only set a solid color on the layer named "ball copy"? How can I create a similar effect in the circle shape of the layer named "ball copy"?

Thanks!

Here's a close example of the effect I am trying to achieve.

20090216-Mac-OSX-Spinning-Wait-Cursor-300x300.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I hope there's something wrong with the file, but this is the actual size of the PSD.

View attachment 26586

Why did you make it so small? You used shapes, start large and then you can transform it down.
Are you trying to create the pinwheel effect because that's not a gradient?

Last edited:

Trudeo

I hope there's something wrong with the file, but this is the actual size of the PSD.

View attachment 26586

Why did you make it so small? You used shapes, start large and then you can transform it down.
Are you trying to create the pinwheel effect because that's not a gradient?

I don't think the size matters here. You can simply zoom if you want.

My original question was: how do I make the solid color gradient? Right now, I can't. Ideally a gradient that circles around the circle, similar to the pinwheel cursor in MacOS X.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Trudeo said:
how do I make the solid color gradient?
Use the Foreground to transparent gradient tool. (There's really no such thing as a solid color gradient)
Trudeo said:
Ideally a gradient that circles around the circle, similar to the pinwheel cursor in MacOS X.
Yeah....not following you here. In the example below, I use arrows to indicate features of the Pinwheel. You could try that when your describing "circles around the circle". Perhaps that would help us to understand your question better.

View attachment 26608

Last edited:

chitkaran

Guru
I managed to get this

Circle-Tex.jpg

Let me know if this gets the thought process going and I shall post a how to for this.. :thumbsup:

Paul

Former Member
I got to this point and farted/gave up fell off my chair:rofl:

wheel.png

chitkaran

Guru
Post in the tutorial section and add a link here.. :thumbsup:

PS: I am anxious to learn it too... lolz

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are we all even sure that this is what the OP is asking about? I did ask the OP if they were referring to the Pinwheel affect to which there was not a positive response.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Chris for your tutorial, but I'm not certain that this is what the OP was asking about. I did ask the OP if they were trying to create the Pinwheel affect and they did not tell me yes in their next post.

chrisix

Guru
To my understanding, he asked how to do the angle gradient on the ball