What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I make this rounded rectangle combination?

Ben Herzberg

Hi,

I'm new to Photoshop, but I do know how to do the basics. Hopefully this doesn't constitute as "basic" :rolleyes:
Anyway, I want to make a shape that looks like the one drawn in the attachment. Basically two rounded rectangles--one horizontal and one vertical, that join together and the corners turn outward instead of inward for the one rounded rectangle. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2597.jpg
    IMG_2597.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Pen tool, then stroke it with your choice of color and width

You do not draw it with the pen tool. You will be creating a custom shape with it as it will be made with a path, though it would be much easier to do in Illustrator. If you are not familiar with the pen tool, there are loads of tutorials on youtube which will explain what paths anchors and handles are, and also how to manipulate them into the shape you desire.

This is the quality the pen can produce:-
View attachment 27012

If this is exactly the shape you require, here is the .ai file. All you have to do is click and drag it into your photoshop document. Just remember to keep your finger on shift when you resize it, otherwise the radius will not be uniform.

View attachment 27013

Either way, I strongly recommend you get to grips with the pen tool if you are planning on using photoshop to a degree in which you can make basic shapes like this.

Last edited:
View attachment 27016
Hi,I'm new to Photoshop, but I do know how to do the basics. Hopefully this doesn't constitute as "basic" :rolleyes:Anyway, I want to make a shape that looks like the one drawn in the attachment. Basically two rounded rectangles--one horizontal and one vertical, that join together and the corners turn outward instead of inward for the one rounded rectangle. Thanks!
This may be created easily and accurately from within Photoshop without using the pen tool. Please see the attached video file for the method I used.2013-01-27_22-19-44 copy.jpg

[video=youtube_share;QE_grttdVb4]http://youtu.be/QE_grttdVb4[/video]

Last edited:
I would definitely use the shape tools. Great video rufinatti. For all your participation and advice,, you have earned yourself a PSG Medal of Honor. I'll post the link for you later!

And you never know Ben, if you look long enough, you might find a proper font that is exactly this!

I would definitely use the shape tools. Great video rufinatti. For all your participation and advice,, you have earned yourself a PSG Medal of Honor. I'll post the link for you later!

And you never know Ben, if you look long enough, you might find a proper font that is exactly this!

thanks, clare.

Back