What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Baking" opacity to semi-transparent layer.

Hypernova

Hey! I have a layer that varies in opacity (from 0% to semi-opaque to 100% opaque). Colour from the layer behind is showing through and blending with the semi-opaque layer. Can I bake that blend that results from the two layers, so that it is baked onto the foremost layer? This will be a fantastic revelation to me if so! Many thanks for any response :D

Hypernova

iDad

Guru
Are you asking if you can merge layers?

Hypernova

Sorry to double post, but I should have mentioned that I also need the previous layer to remain separate. Kinda like merging layers but preserving all of the separate layers.

iDad

Guru
you can close the layers you don't want (shut off layer palette eye)then save separate file of each layer
That is if that's what you mean

Hypernova

Yeah I think that would do it. hehe, I gave it some thought after posting this thread and was thinking along those lines. I'll just duplicate the layers and selectively make 1 copy of each duplicated layer invisible layers and merge visible. Thanks for helping me think through the process :)

hawkeye

Guru
Click the small triangle icon in the layers palette. Hold alt and click on Merge Visible. This will create a composite of all the layers, while still leaving the other layers all intact.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 17

iDad

Guru
Didn't know that one that's an awesome tip!

ibclare

Queen Bee
Yeah, I do that all the time, using copy-merge, select multiple layers, ctl/alt+e, but baking? C'mon someone explain that term to me. Please.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I use "merge visible" all the time! I right click in the empty field of any activated layer.

BAKING?????

BAKING 2 ????

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
Nice find Sam, so baking is like a 3D effect.

iDad

Guru
I Have always used merge visible then duplicate via way of copy it and then back up and then paste it. I like this tip a lot! Always learning in adobe products I love it!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Paul, I was just doing a search for the term as it relates to photoshop, I believe your right about it being like a 3D effect.

Tom, don't know. I have not heard the term baking apllied to layer comps.

Tom Mann

Guru
Specifically, you can create several different layer comps, each with a different opacity, blending mode, etc. for the layer(s) of interest.

...at least that's what I think the OP is requesting in addition to the simple cntl-alt-shift-e keystroke combo already described above.

T

iDad

Guru
So getting baked is not what I thought...... Go figure:rofl:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No.......it's still what you thought..........just not in this case!

Tom Mann

Guru
"...Tom, don't know. I have not heard the term baking apllied to layer comps...."

To me, layer comps can be used as the generalization of simply baking in one set of parameters. Layer comps would correspond to the baking in of several different opacities without storing a whole bunch of extra layers.

T