What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera Raw CS6 "Auto" tweak

Martin KS

Afternoon all,
I generally find that the "Auto" setting in Camera Raw gives me a good place to start from, but my recent batches of photos it's been correcting each around 0.5ev too bright. Is there a way for me to tell it "I like my photos a bit darker please"?

Thanks in advance

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I believe you can create your own presets and use the Presets option to set them. Right here
Preset thingy.JPG

Afternoon all,
I generally find that the "Auto" setting in Camera Raw gives me a good place to start from, but my recent batches of photos it's been correcting each around 0.5ev too bright. Is there a way for me to tell it "I like my photos a bit darker please"?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Retired Administrator
No.
I'm pretty sure you can't override a specific setting i.e. Auto but with - .5 EV.
You'll have to make that adjustment manually every time.

ABL68 is right you can create your own presets but they'll only work on images that were taken under the exact same lighting and exposure conditions.
It would work best if you set a specific white balance and manual exposure settings , in a stable unchanging environment.

If your camera is set to Auto white balance and you use any camera setting than may change the exposure values it won't work very well.

MikeMc

McGuru
You can set it so all shots from a certain camera are done the same in ACR....ISO, and some others....:banghead:

I just can't find that now....

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Last edited:

Martin KS

Thanks all,
I'm shooting people playing ice hockey, so the lighting is different in every shot, but the auto always seems to be out by the same amount.
Steve was closest to the mark, though it's a shame.

Could I perhaps record a "decrease exposure by 0.5ev" action that I could trigger with a hotkey or similar?

Hoogle

Guru
consider in investing in lightroom maybe or download it for free at the moment with beta just being launched.

You can adjust white balance and exposure etc to 1 image and apply it to every image in the folder

Steve

Retired Administrator
The problem here is using Auto.
Every image will be adjusted differently if every image was shot with auto white balance, and anything less than the same aperture and shutter speed settings.

Ecosbar's idea should work, per session, but not necessarily across different shoots.
You would need to do this for each shoot.

MikeMc

McGuru
After rereading this a few times, and whilst enjoying a sip of Gold from Lynch burg Tennessee had a thought.
Since it's all shots with the same color temp lighting, why not just fool that box by manually setting your ISO/ASA ?

You can adjust in half and full stops easy. 100 asa, 200 asa, 400 asa ...set at 200 for normal... 100 for 1 less stop...400 for 1 more.

I assume also that you do not have a way of setting a 3 shot bracketed burst ( - 0 +) I shoot too many images with three or 5 shot bursts and use them for HDR

Or an automatic EV adjustment ?? on camera.

And yes you can make and save presets in ACR .......click the box

I will say get the camera dialed in first. My Pentax DSLR has far more tools than I need now. curtain syncs, I am using the HDR burst mode. Intervalometer, program modes, and filters have not been used as I can do it in PS and not use a tiny screen

A SHOUT OUT TO TOM MANN ON THIS ONE......he is past good using ACR with masks.

PS what box you shoot?

Last edited: