What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colour overlay help

Andy000

Hi, quick question. I've done it in the past for I can not remember for the life of me how to overlay something and make the colours cross in a way. The best way I can explain it is with a couple of picture (badly and quickly painted over pics too lol) but basically I want to overlay the Apple logo so the parts over the green become cream and over the cream becomes green, so it looks like the last pic (but obviously better!). Last time I did it I'm sure it was one of the blending modes but all the ones I've tried don't give the desired effect/colours.
Screen Shot 2013-05-19 at 23.12.02.pngScreen Shot 2013-05-19 at 23.12.18.pngScreen Shot 2013-05-19 at 23.18.12.png
Thanks for any help!

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Use Screen Blending Mode after you make a selection of the apple and put it on a layer. I lowered the opacity to 38%
then use screen blend.
Screen mode.JPG

iDad

Guru
Are you referring to layer Modes? What comes to mind with your question is put the Apple(top layer) in layer mode to "difference" is that what you're asking

Andy000

Well using the apple logo in the green colour and doing 'difference' makes it like this so I'm not sure. Screen Shot 2013-05-20 at 00.23.39.png

chrisix

Guru
duplicate the layer of the pattern.
place it on top of the shape layer then press ctrl+alt+g
now select the two colors of your pattern as forground and background layer.
make a gradient map using those two colors
click correct the sliders so that the two colors will swap
now ctrl+alt+g the gradient map layer
swap.png
My desription is vague
so i added the file
View attachment swap.psd

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Easier yet..........

Duplicate your stars and stripes layer.
Place it on top of your Apple logo layer.
Hit command + I to invert the colors.
Use a clipping mask to clip this to the Apple logo layer.

EDIT: this only works with black and white! Nevermind!

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
See if this makes any sense.........

I believe the secret to this effect is in the planning. It gets hard to follow so watch closely. See what you think.

iDad

Guru
Very clever, well done Sammy!