What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to color a photo by switching on a layer under it?

henrico

Hi, I'm quite familiar with PS, but cannot figure out how to do this.

I want to color a photo of a brown leather shoe by switching on a red layer under it. I need this because a website script works with 2 separate images/layers. The top layer must be a transparent png of the image (the brown shoe) and the layer under this is a solid color. This way you can color a shoe by clicking a button on the webpage.

layers.jpg

I tried it using a white shoe on a layer, setting the opacity to 80%, than I used 'Select Color Range' to select the leather of the shoe, than I deleted this selection. This way the shoe keeps the leather look but is kind of transparent. A colored layer under it 'paints' the shoe red while you still see the leather texture on it.
However, this method does not work well with a brown shoe. The texture is very hard to select.
I hope there is an other way to get this working? Remember, this needs to work outside Photoshop on a website script that can only show 2 layers on top of each other. If the script had a luminosity-layer than the problem was solved but it does not support luminosity...

Any help is appreciated!

What script is it. Is there a working example of this scrip on the internet, as the explanation of what it is you want is open to interpretation.

For a working example of the script, see Fancyproductdesigner dot com

Here a simpeler explanation:
-on layer 1 is the shoe
-on layer 2 are the colors
-combined they show a colored shoe

shoe-layers.jpg

Hi Sprucemagoo1, the name of the script is fancyproductdesigner. You can find it on Google.

Here a simple explanation:
-there are 1 layers
-the top layar is a transparant image of a shoe
-the bottom layer is a solid color (or more colors)
-together they render as the colored shoe

shoe-layers.jpg

Back