What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is there any tutorials on creating borders

darloray

hi im wanting to find some tutorials on creating simple borders and similar things.
ive looked around on you tube etc but not found the things im looking for.is it possible to do things like the images below.

kind regards
ray
140.JPGfree-congratulations-clip-art-frames-3.jpg

Hi Ray,

I'm assuming your talking about actually drawing the ornate corners. Most borders like you have posted here are created in vector based programs like Illustrator.

Not suggested, but you can make them in Photoshop using the pen tool. Here is a Google search on using PHOTOSHOPS PEN TOOL.

Sorry, I'm not much help here.

If you draw the path of the frame in Ps using the Pen Tool. Select a Vertical Calligraphic Brush, then using the Path Selection Tool, Stroke the path.

This will give you the Thin & Thick look that is prominent on the 1st example of yours.

hi, thanks for your advice. i've got a copy of illustrator on my laptop that i forgot i had and never used.
also SPWA thanks i will try that. it new to me using the pen tool and paths but as they say, everydays a learning day.

i was trying to find a cdrom or downloads for commercial use where i could've dragged the borders/swirls etc into to my but never saw any.

thanks again

Gosh, if that's all you want to do, there are lots of PS brushes out there for free. Just do a search for Photoshop Border Brushes etc. Load the brushes in your Presets/Brushes folder and have fun. You use a brush by painting it onto a layer by itself, then you can transform it or manipulate it any way you like. I'm pretty sure I have some fancy borders in my folder if you don't find some. You can also find them in vector format too, but they may not be free.

hoogle i did actually see them pages. got some of the free ones but only will buy the set when im a bit flush.
alb68 im new to using pen tool and the brushes to do this sort of thing.im used to just doing things on my photos or creating ebook covers etc.
im a quick learner so i will figure it out :)

well, if you haven't used any premade brushes before, your missing out. They are a lot easier to use than trying to draw stuff with the pen tool in PS. Not to mention, that any image you have in PS can be made into a brush for your future use. Try it, you'll like it.
hoogle i did actually see them pages. got some of the free ones but only will buy the set when im a bit flush.
alb68 im new to using pen tool and the brushes to do this sort of thing.im used to just doing things on my photos or creating ebook covers etc.
im a quick learner so i will figure it out :)

thanks for all your advice, i love this forum, plenty to go through and learn

im off for a few days, im gonna make sure i learn how to use the brushes more etc.

in the mean time i was looking on you tube and typed in swirls brushes. i came across a tutorial which said go to deviantart and type in swirls brushes and their was plenty of photoshop brushes there to download,and load into ps,most of which were for commercial use.

Naaa..most of the brushes can be used for whatever. However, most will ask that they be given credit if the brush is used for a work that is other than just private. Deviant art folks make some nice brushes, but there are thousands upon thousands of them you can download. It is always good though to check for any restrictions on use. Good luck!

thanks for all your advice, i love this forum, plenty to go through and learn

im off for a few days, im gonna make sure i learn how to use the brushes more etc.

in the mean time i was looking on you tube and typed in swirls brushes. i came across a tutorial which said go to deviantart and type in swirls brushes and their was plenty of photoshop brushes there to download,and load into ps,most of which were for commercial use.

loads of brushes , i use actions for my borders and frames , they can be downloaded free , but if you want to create your own even better

im a very big fan of actions now , can save a lot of time

thanks,i got loads of brushes downloaded now that should get me going. didnt know things like that could be added. im guessing theres loads more other things too,but one step at a time.
im loving this site and the video tutorial section.

I keep a lot of them in my folder. You might go along for a long time and not use some of them, but one day, a need will occur and you'll remember,,,hey I have a brush for that. There are some really nice ones out there made by some creative people.
thanks,i got loads of brushes downloaded now that should get me going. didnt know things like that could be added. im guessing theres loads more other things too,but one step at a time.
im loving this site and the video tutorial section.

Back