What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First time creating a GUI

mdangelo94

Hi there. This is my first post on this forum, and I'm not very experienced with Photoshop.

I am trying to create a GUI for a home automation system. I just have a few questions I was hoping to get some help with.

I bought a button pack that comes in a psd file. Each button is a different layer. I want to increase the size of the buttons without lowering the resolution so stretching is not an option. Is there any way to copy the effects used to create the buttons onto a larger button which I can then resize down? This would allow me to make high res buttons.

My other question has to do with buttons with rounded edges. Right now I copy the button into a blank project, and it has a large white background around it. Is there any way to reduce the size of the background? And then what is the best way to avoid having those white spots in the corners where the background is shown due to the rounded edges?

Any help is appreciated, this site has a lot of valuable information on it!

Thank you,

Michael D'Angelo

ibclare

Queen Bee
Sorry your post was not approved earlier by our spam-o-matic moderator.

You can make a larger, high resolution document, drag the small layer(s) over, then hold down the alt/opt key, grab the fx icon from the layer and place it on the newly created button and all the effects will transfer.

Crotale

Power User
What ibclare said. To piggyback on that, it also depends on the program used to create the buttons and any accompanying scripts that may need to be modified so the larger buttons fit properly. Are you coding the GUI or using a premade program to script it?

mdangelo94

I will be coding the GUI myself, in a different program. I am just creating .png files containing the button images to be imported into my GUI-creation program.

ibclare's suggestion worked. I created a rounded rectangle in a new, high-res file and then alt-clicked and dragged the fx onto the new rectangle.

Is there any way to shrink the size of the white background in the corners? I'll be placing the buttons on a non-white background, what is the best way to get rid of the white? My idea was to import the background I'll be using into photoshop, place the button on top, and then select and save the button.

Thanks again.