What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to select 1 color to delete or change in photoshop?

Dynamic Visuals

I took a photo of a design I liked and am trying to adjust the colors to print and sublimate onto fabric.

Does anyone know how to select one color and adjust it? I would think once selected, I could adjust with the Hue feature. Any other recommendations?

Hoogle

Guru
you can add a hue saturation adjustment layer and if the 1 colour you want to select is an obvious colour like blue for example you can tell the hue saturation adjustment layer to only effect the blues so the rest of the colours pretty much stay the same and the blues will change.

If the 1 colour you want o change is not possible using above method you can go to select > colour range and that will make a selection depending on where you click the eye dropper and all colours within that range (you can adjust the tolerance) will be made into a selection which can then be adjusted using hue saturation methods.

You may also want to look into colour replacement tool.

Tom Mann

Guru
As is always the case in Photoshop, there are many ways to do what you requested. Choice of the best technique depends on the image. If you post an example, we'll be able to help you select (pun intended) a good one for your particular situation.

Cheers,

Tom M

Last edited:
As Tom said, always more than one way in Ps.

IF it really is just one color, use the magic wand tool, set tolerance at 1 (or maybe 5), make sure contiguous is unchecked (both are done in the top tool bar), then click on your color.

This should select everything that is that color in the image. Then do your hue/color adjustment layer, and it will only effect the selection.

agent

Tom Mann

Guru
Good post, Agent!

"IF it really is just one color..."
- That's just one of the reasons I asked to see an example ;-)

I hate having to play 20 questions to try to extract all the relevant info on initial requests such as this.

T

Funny.

Although the tolerance function on the magic wand does give you a lot of leeway. I use it every time I color a cartoon in Ps. Makes eliminating the white background on my scans a "snap!"

Agent

Dynamic Visuals

Flamingo Half Print.jpgFor instance, Im trying to get ahold of the blue in the background to delete...It's all one layer though so is there a way to select just the blue?

Tom Mann

Guru
What color are you going to replace the blue with?

The problem is that if the replacement color is much different than the original blue, unless the selection is done extremely well, you wind up with little rings around every area where you removed blue. Whether or not this happens depends dramatically on whether the transition between one color the next is sharp or gradual, the resolution of your file compared to the sharpness of each color boundary, the color on the other side of each boundary, and what selection method you use.

Another possible complication is that on my little iPhone it looks like there are several different types of blue on the shirt..

So, my suggestion is that you crop out a small area consisting of a blue (to be changed) along with several of the surrounding other colors, and post that. You should do this at full resolution so we can see exactly what we are confronted with.

Cheers,

Tom

MikeMc

McGuru
I pulled it up...3 shades of blue, with white mixed in...I would spend a bit of time with the pen.....OK, a lot of pen time.

Tom Mann

Guru
Mike, when you said that you "pulled it up", did you mean that there was a link to a substantially higher rez version that I missed, or were you saying that you looked at post #8 except on a real monitor instead of me trying to squint at it on my iPhone? LOL.

T

MikeMc

McGuru
Sorry bout that Tom, I looked at post 8 on my monitor at 400%