What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I make this Custom Shape fade into the background?

ElJuanJo

I want to do this in photoshop

flower_lady-wide.jpgCapture.PNGCapture1.PNG

I started with the green background image, then I drew a Star, and then I made the star fade a little into the background.

How can I create this same effect of fading objects (or in this case custom shapes) using photoshop?

besmirched

Power User
One of Photoshop's main if not most important feature is layers. In the case above the picture with flowery image with the woman is one layer and the star shape is another layer. The star layer can be manipulated and blended several ways including various layer blend modes, opacity and fill levels as well as masking.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
ElJuanJo said:
I started with the green background image, then I drew a Star, and then I made the star fade a little into the background.

What program were you using when you did this?

ElJuanJo said:
How can I create this same effect of fading objects (or in this case custom shapes) using photoshop?

Open the original image in Photoshop.
Create a new layer.
Select the Custom Shape Tool, then select the star from the custom shape picker.
Position the star where you want it by clicking, dragging while holding the shift key. You can also add in the space bar to move the shape.
You can fade the star by lowering it's opacity.

Last edited:

AleksiJS

Yea, just lower the opacity to make that shape transparent and the background will become visible.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's another version using a shape with a layer mask. I added a gradient to the mask as to match the fading of the lady.

flower_lady-wide02.png

Screen Shot 2013-08-04 at 9.35.06 AM.png