What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Use two colors on in text character at angle/slope?

osiris355

Hello,

I am trying to find out how to use two colors on text but not just a horizontal seperation and more of a slope. I have searched the web but have not found any examples that show this. I have attacked a sloppy example in paint to give you an idea. Any help on how to do this would be appreciated. I am VERY new to photoshop.

Thank You!Example.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's another way.............

Create a background layer (white)
Create your text.
Create a yellow layer, clip this to the text layer (right click the yellow layer, then hit create clipping mask).
On the yellow layer, use the transform function (EDIT > FREE TRANSFORM or cmd/cntrl + T) and then rotate the yellow layer where you want it. ( you can also expand it as well)

ThisIsATest_01.png

Screen Shot 2013-09-08 at 2.07.07 PM.png

ibclare

Queen Bee
If you have in mind a specific shape to the yellow color such as a bending line, you can easily use the pen tool to create this.

In this example, number one shows how a path is clipped. Hold down the alt/opt key and click between the layers (or you can go to Layers>Create clipping path. Now as Sam said, the color area will only fill the shape you made and show through the letters accordingly.

Number two is to demonstrate using the pen tool. Make a starting point, click the pen again at some spot and pull the handles out. Just click and pull, then you'll see the handles. I suggest experimenting with this if you haven't used the pen tool before.

You can also put any png shape/transparency or solid background shape above the letters and fill the text that way.

clipText.jpg

Here is a png of a tall ship clipped to the text. (not a very great image - unreadable, lol - but for the general idea)

clipTEXT-2.jpg