What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to fill space around an object with text

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please just watch the tutorial!

When you copy and paste into the text field, do it one or two paragraphs at a time!

ddan49

Using multiple text fields, it works. FYI, I did watch every tutorial you linked to and I already saw that one before. I'm not as dumb as I sound ;)

Thanks!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm glad you finally got it to work for you!

Take care!

Paul

Former Member
Using multiple text fields, it works. FYI, I did watch every tutorial you linked to and I already saw that one before. I'm not as dumb as I sound ;)

Thanks!

No one said you was mate, quick learner i guess.
Glad the site helped you in your quest, care to show us your results mate?

Tom Mann

Guru
...it seems like I have too much text and Photoshop can't handle it. I have 8gb of RAM and I've allocated 100% to Photoshop in the settings menu... it's not at 100% load, either
As I recall, Adobe states that one should *never* should allocate 100% of memory to PS. I don't have the time to find the exact quote, but as I recall, Adobe states that allocating too much to PS may not leave enough memory for normal operations of the OS.

I wonder if allocating 100% of your memory to PS has not left enough for the OS to do large cut and paste operations. Have you tried following Adobe's recommended memory allocation for PS, ie, the recommended range that you see displayed when you go into "edit/preferences/performance" in PS.

Tom

PS - I assume you are running 64 bit PS under a 64 bit OS, right?

ddan49

Here is the almost-finished version. I'm still working on text spacing. I did drop the allocation back. That wasn't the problem, since only about 60% of my RAM was being used. I think that the Photoshop text boxes simply can't handle that much text. This way works fine, though. Thanks again! Capture.PNG

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looking great ddan! What dimensions will the final document be? Are you going to change the black to another color?

ddan49

Final should be 24 x 36 inches (poster). I'm messing with the fonts right now, trying to make it more readable (I'm at like 5pt for most of it). When I changed every layer to settings that changed the font as well as spacing, leading, etc. in order for a different font to take up the same amount of space (I used one of my text layers to play around with it until the settings were good), some text layers were perfect while others seemed to have too much text, i.e. they need to be downsized further. Why is that? Am I doing something wrong? How can the same settings applied to multiple layers of text that matched perfectly before cause discontinuities?

Also, I'm keeping the face itself black. The text will most likely be blue with the red hat. The hat must be red, and blue is in the triad color scheme.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Yeah so I started pasting little by little even more so, and it eventually gets to the second picture where the text is on top of itself. Then Photoshop just crashed.

Is there a way to do it in Illustrator? Would it work better?

The text file is about 390,000 characters. So really big. It's a book. Literally.

I just saw this thread today....

In Corel Draw, there's a function that enables text to wrap around an object....

CorelWrapText.jpg

I've never tried doing this in Illustrator but I believe there's a function similar to this.

As to why PS strains in handling this type of workload, bear in mind that PS is a pixel based program. And because of this, PS has to redraw every single pixel information of the text every time you edit or even move around the document for a better view.

This explains why breaking up the text eases the workload on PS as the render machine only has to contend with the data on individual text layers rather than the entire, whole paragraph of text on a single layer.

Which is why image work like this is best done on vector based programs like Illustrator. Being a vector application, the file data is smaller hence the image work is easily handled.