What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with selection

Jimbz

Greetings everyone, I have a small question if you dont mind.

I am working on coloring some things, they have alot of detail in them, and I find it really handy to use the pentool and to save my paths as a selection, and then subtract and add the selections as I see fit.
However, I seem to have hit the maximum of selections I can save. Each new selection gets saved into a new document. Is there a way to increase the saveable selections ? Or is there a workaround for this ? One way of doing is to save the paths and convert them into selections ? Any advice on this, I really would like more selections to save.

Thank you for reading

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Welcome to PSG, Jimbz.

Uncertain if I got you correctly. But here's what I do if the need requires that I minimize the saved selections or paths in a document....

I'd activate the selection and fill on a new layer. This layer I'd move into a Set for future use and I lock them so I don't accidentally move them out of place.

So basically I've created a locked folder set in the document for masks which I keep hidden... lol..

Jimbz

Welcome to PSG, Jimbz.

Uncertain if I got you correctly. But here's what I do if the need requires that I minimize the saved selections or paths in a document....

I'd activate the selection and fill on a new layer. This layer I'd move into a Set for future use and I lock them so I don't accidentally move them out of place.

So basically I've created a locked folder set in the document for masks which I keep hidden... lol..

Thank you for the welcome.

Reading from what you just said, there is no way to increase save slots for selections I take it ?
You suggested I would make selections, color the selection, save it on a layer and keep repeating ? However I feel as tho I need to recolor/reshade those now deleted selections at some point.
Is there possibly a way to take 2 or more selections and save them under 1 ? I could save room with that.

Also, a totally offtopic question: I have a black and white picture (the black colour differs in shade), is there any possible way to remove the pure white color and make a layer out of the other pixels, so I can use the "lock transparent pixels" option ? In other words, Id like to recolor the lines only as I see fit without having to recreate them. The "color range" option works, but it only makes a selection out of it, the lines have varying shades of black on them, id like to keep those shades.

Thank you for your time.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I save selections as well. But I use two additional methods to save them.

I create templates for selections and save them as layers. I can then group the template layers.

Example, here we have a fine young woman sporting some attractive swimwear. Lets suppose I want to remove her from her BG and isolate the Bikini.

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.21.59 AM.png

Lets say I use my Pen Tool to make a selection on a new layer.

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.22.17 AM.png

Then I fill the selection with black. I name the layer "Woman Template Layer".

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.48.58 AM.png

I can also do the same for the Bikini. Named "Bikini Template layer".

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.49.35 AM.png

I will group the templates. At any time I need to use these templates to make a selection, all I need to do is hit Command + Click the templates thumbnail, and I have my selection back.

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.54.56 AM.png

My other method is using masks.
Duplicate the layer/image you wish to make a selection, make your selection, then create a mask.
I make Positive and negative mask layers and group them for later use.

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.55.38 AM.png

negative
Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.55.58 AM.png

positive
Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 9.56.08 AM.png

Just another way selections can be saved and used!

ibclare

Queen Bee
Are you saving the path itself or saving as a selection? IDK the answer of what to do after making max number of paths, never got that many. But, once you make a path and fill it, you don't really need the path that critically. If you want to reactivate the selection, you can ctl/cmd click on the layer thumbnail and you will have that same selection available to you. So, like dv8 suggested, keep all those selection layers in a group for use later if you need them. Make them as duplicates of the one you are working with and keep another set in a group. The advice to lock these layers is so that you won't be able to accidentally delete them. As far as I know, there is no limit on the number of layers and groups you can create. Though I might only think this because I have never created an endless psd!

hawkeye

Guru
There is a limit up to Photoshop CS6 of 8000 layers, I don't know about CC. When you save a selection it becomes an alpha channel and that limit is 56. An RGB images uses 3 channels, so that leaves an additional 53 for saving selections.

Jimbz

K, thank you guys, I got it working when saving them as layers, its a fair bit of exta work, but atleast its doing it. And indeed you seem to be correct hawkeye. Also, does any1 have a possible answer for the 2nd question in my 2nd reply ? Of how to convert every pixel except for the color white into a layer/mask where I can use the "lock transparent pixels" option ?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jimbz said:
I have a black and white picture (the black colour differs in shade), is there any possible way to remove the pure white color and make a layer out of the other pixels, so I can use the "lock transparent pixels" option ? In other words, Id like to recolor the lines only as I see fit without having to recreate them.

Ok, the best way for me to understand this dilemma is for you to post an example!

To me this sounds like your trying to preserve shaded lines from some drawing.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Original

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 9.28.34 AM.png

Lines separated from the BG. These are on their own layer. You can lock the layer if you like but it's not needed.

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 9.28.50 AM.png

Add in a new White BG layer below the Line layer, we have black lines......

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 9.29.14 AM.png

Add a Hue & Saturation LAYER adjustment using COLORIZE above and clipped to the line layer, we have green lines! No damage to the original line layer!

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 9.29.24 AM.png

Add a Hue & Saturation LAYER adjustment using COLORIZE above and clipped to the line layer, we have Blue (/Purple) lines! No damage to the original line layer!

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 9.29.35 AM.png

You can come back at any time and change the adjustment layer settings or add a new one! You can adjust the the opacity of the H&S adjustment layers to allow for some of the tonal gradation in the original line to show through.

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 9.30.05 AM.png

Jimbz

thanks for the reply, however this was not what i was looking for, on the plus side, i managed to figure it out how to do it on my own, and it works pretty damn good, anyways, got some problems solved, thanks who helped