What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How is this artist adding a 3rd dimension here?

Husky8690

There's an artist I've been following for a little while. The name of this artist is Frances Seward. if you go to Etsy and find his/her shop (FrancesPhotography) you'll see her/his (not sure if man or woman) work virtually always incorporates a near 3 dimensional feel to her/his abstracts.

While I have no intention of trying to copy her works, I would nonetheless like to incorporate a similar 3rd dimensional feel to my own abstract beginnings.

Since I can't post a link to Etsy (new member of this forum), I'll provide a couple of examples.

Again, how is he/she getting this 3rd dimension into his/her work?

Attachments

• Untitled_520__Original_Fine_Art_Photograph__by_FrancesPhotography.jpg
    Untitled_520__Original_Fine_Art_Photograph__by_FrancesPhotography.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Yellow_And_Blue_Zen__Fine_Art_Photograph__by_FrancesPhotography.jpg
    Yellow_And_Blue_Zen__Fine_Art_Photograph__by_FrancesPhotography.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Midsummer_Sea_Storm__Fine_Art_Photograph__by_FrancesPhotography.jpg
    Midsummer_Sea_Storm__Fine_Art_Photograph__by_FrancesPhotography.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 3
It maybe because of my eye, but they all look very much 2d, but I suspect it has more to do with the fact that there is no points of reference for perspective, as it is blurry, wavy lines.

Husky8690

If not true 3d (which I doubt it is) any ideas on how the wave-like effects are created?

I've tried for a really long time to get similar effects; just not sure how to do it.

Thanks!

Tom Mann

Guru
My feeling is that they have incorporated some of the classical concepts from painting such as "warm colors advance, cool colors recede", and that background areas typically are more muted and are softer/less detailed compared to the foreground.

Tom

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
She has some fantastic work!

Without knowing her workflow on these effects, it's hard to tell what may be done in camera and whats done in post. I suspect most is done in PP and it would be a matter of experimenting until you get close. I think the implied 3D is very similar to the tilt shift blur effect. There is obviously a lot more going on here.

Husky8690

Any chance Frances is utilizing a piece of 3D rendering software to get a wave like this one (towards the bottom ofwave.jpg the image)?

Crotale

Power User
As best I can explain it, it is called "refraction," or an optical change of direction or speed of light and color as it passes through the transition. Use of a thick drinking glass, or glass of water, can net similar effects when shooting objects.

There are a few Photoship plugins that can assist you with this endeavor if you need to add it in post-shoot, but none will net you the end results by themselves. You will need to experiment. One such plugin is Redfield Water Ripples. You will still be required to use some advanced blending techniques in order to give the project an overall feeling that the added effect "belongs" in the picture. You may have to add in some noise to even things up a bit with the rest of the image.

Edit:/ You can also layer in some displacement mapping in the areas you wish to be "bumped". Adding a layer mask over the displacement map can give you the ultimate control over how the bumped areas will look, while maintaining consistency for the remainder of the overall image.

Last edited:

Blueman

I wouldn't call that picture a 3D affected pix...it'z jez a ripple done with jez some thick lines and made 2 look blurry by blur through glausian blur and also to have wavy effect through that same roll were blur lies!I'm still confused I'll say!

Tom Mann

Guru
Clearly, the techniques used only suggest three dimensionality. The minds of some viewers may interpret it as 3D, others may say that there is no more 3D than people painting on the walls of caves 20k years ago. I think there is a very good chance she intentionally made it ambiguous. That's one way to get viewers to study and interact with a piece of art.

Compare that to someone who uses one of the water ripple plugins, introduces a lot of perspective distortion on the shape of the ripple, and then composits two people into the scene like they were standing in the water, one large person on the near side of the ripples, and a smaller, more muted fellow in light fog towards the back of the ripples. If I saw something like that, I'd probably say, "so what". It's a too blatant and obvious use of standard technique. I probably wouldn't give the image more than a few second look. In contrast, the piece we have been discussing spurred 17 posts just in this one thread.

T

Husky8690

There are a few Photoship plugins that can assist you with this endeavor if you need to add it in post-shoot, but none will net you the end results by themselves. You will need to experiment. One such plugin is Redfield Water Ripples.

Many thanks for this info!

I'm running on a Mac, however, and even attempting to utilize a third-party exe. decoder/enabler doesn't work (I tried Winebottler).

If you know of some way to get this plugin to work with Photoshop on a Mac, or if you know of another similar plugin, please let me know.

Thanks again!

Crotale

Power User
It depends on the use of any tools outside of the camera and subject materials whether or not the artist can create an interesting piece. Art is subjective and your freedom to state your opinion is valid, naturally, but to blatantly shrug off any such talent or possibility that a person can digitally create interesting art is poppycock. Besides, we are teaching here, are we not? Do we simply steer a budding artist in one direction or let them take in all the information and decide for himself/herself which direction to go?

If the artist had not let it be known the effect was derived mostly from the photographic technique, would you have still found the piece in the OP as interesting? Or, am I taking your comments out of context?