What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help on how to convert photos to black and white drawings, Grunge style or alike

ibclare

Queen Bee
Re: Need help on how to convert photos to black and white drawings, Grunge style or a

Here's a quick pic. If you want more shading for round bars, etc., I suggest using the crosshatch pattern to create shadow effects. I haven't done anything more than clip a texture (actually just pasted into the selection on an upper layer). You can find a larger metal image with finer striations for a more realistic look.

Untitled-2.jpg

Skyes

Re: Need help on how to convert photos to black and white drawings, Grunge style or a

Here's a quick pic. If you want more shading for round bars, etc., I suggest using the crosshatch pattern to create shadow effects. I haven't done anything more than clip a texture (actually just pasted into the selection on an upper layer). You can find a larger metal image with finer striations for a more realistic look.

View attachment 43412

I really liked this effect, and loved your ideas. I will try it as soon as I get back home. I have a doubt tho, but I don't know if I am able to explain it correctly:
I downloaded a set of ScreenTone brushes, similar to those that I applied to create the "shadows" of the drawings. The brushes come in sets of 20 pixels, so basically, you can increase their size as much as you want, and the dots still remain at the same pattern and size. This sounds really good in theory (I can use the brush at any size that I need), but after applied, when I zoom in and out of the drawing, the pixels look really messed up in the area where the ScreenTone is applied. This is probably due to the fact that each dot represents a pixel, and when zoomed out, the pixels change in shape and volume. Is there a way to fix this?
If this look really confusing, I will upload an image of what I am talking about as soon as I get home. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Bane

Filter > mask > filter > mask > filter > mask > repeat

Basically is how it goes. You can achieve this look with a ton of time and effort masking out effects. WAY time consuming, though.

ibclare

Queen Bee

Actually, IDK. Again you might work with a pattern you create or one you find in a metal texture. There are also a couple options in filter>sketch>halftone, dot, line, or circle pattern you might experiment with.

ibclare

Queen Bee

Since I'm not sure exactly what you want, I did this anyway. Logical, right?

Applied two metal textures masked into my selection. I played with blends, using the metal texture you see above, then creating a repeating pattern from a texture I found just by googling metal textures. When transformed down to the picture size, it still wasn't a small enough dot, so I duplicated the layers till I had the coverage I needed. It could also be done as a defined pattern. In fact I made two metal texture patterns, but I used this one just as a masked pattern layer.

For the first metal texture I used hard light. For the dot pattern I used vivid light blend mode. Then on another layer, I painted with a soft brush in white using the control click selection method, then set the layer to overlay.

Untitled-2.jpg

I just realized that I lost the lines. To remedy that, I made a copy of the original image selecting only the ceiling and pole. I moved this over everything except the highlight layer and set blend mode to soft light 65%, then duplicated it. I also increased the highlight layers and added one for sharp highlights set to vivid light.

Untitled-3.jpg

I'm getting the impression that this much detail and contrast/darkness is overwhelming the image, so I would personally tone that down ... a lot. The people are more important than the ceiling. After all, lol.

Sort of like this, turning down a few opacities. Maybe even more.

Untitled-4.jpg

OK, that's enough out of me, since you might not even be home yet to defend yourself against the onslaught!

Last edited:

Skyes

I'm getting the impression that this much detail and contrast/darkness is overwhelming the image, so I would personally tone that down ... a lot. The people are more important than the ceiling. After all, lol.

Sort of like this, turning down a few opacities. Maybe even more.

View attachment 43418

OK, that's enough out of me, since you might not even be home yet to defend yourself against the onslaught!

Damn, this looks beautiful! And it matches the picture so well! I love it. :)
Thank you for taking your time to edit it.

Well, this is what I was talking about, when using the ScreenTone Brush. I placed markers on the Images using Paint, so I think it will be easy to understand:
FotoComPixelMenor.png

Here, it looks quite ok. It is a bit dark, but I have a huge variety of brushes to choose from, as you can see in the Pallete. I just randomly picked this darker screen tone pointed at the image.

FotoComPixelMaior.png

But when I zoom out, the dots gets all messed up. Here, they get really huge, as pointed in the image above. Why does this happen? And better yet, how can I fix it?
Thanks in advance! :)

Skyes

And this is the final result (so far). I think I am finnished with the image. I basically did as ibclare said. I applied a metalic texture, turned it into Soft Light, created a new mask, and played with the gradients. I wanted to upload the image so you guys could compare with the older picture, noticing how much you all helped me :)

PS: I still have the Pixel doubt as stated in the post above, if anyone could help me, I would be really grateful. Thanks in advance :)

MetroFinal2.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee

Very nice. I'm proud of your work! And glad to help. I like the way you incorporated the texture to create shadows and emphasize the main character. The only other thing I would have done is add a couple more highlights, like to the ceiling directly above the girl and behind the foreground guy a bit. But it works anyway. I was only getting highlighting cues from the original ceiling and wanted to highlight the guys head and arms a bit. But nice work.

As for the brushes, IDK, just make them smaller before applying? Never used this type of brush but the pattern is cool. I actually like the pattern you created with them. Artistic license and all; you can have them emphasized just to make them a clear texture. Think of the pop art posters of the 60s.

But don't get me wrong. I like what you've done with this one and the earlier ones. Keep up the good work! (a phrase one of our former mods use to always use. Sir Max I called him -- sometimes he talked funny and spelled words his own way, but he was a great support for all of us)

Skyes

Very nice. I'm proud of your work! And glad to help. I like the way you incorporated the texture to create shadows and emphasize the main character. The only other thing I would have done is add a couple more highlights, like to the ceiling directly above the girl and behind the foreground guy a bit. But it works anyway. I was only getting highlighting cues from the original ceiling and wanted to highlight the guys head and arms a bit. But nice work.

As for the brushes, IDK, just make them smaller before applying? Never used this type of brush but the pattern is cool. I actually like the pattern you created with them. Artistic license and all; you can have them emphasized just to make them a clear texture. Think of the pop art posters of the 60s.

But don't get me wrong. I like what you've done with this one and the earlier ones. Keep up the good work! (a phrase one of our former mods use to always use. Sir Max I called him -- sometimes he talked funny and spelled words his own way, but he was a great support for all of us)

Thank you for the kind words, dear friend :)