What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create partial water reflection effect in CS6

Sarthak Choudhary

I want to know if it is possible to create water reflection not for entire image but for a part of image?
Please provide steps/tutorial etc.
Thanks in advance.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
okay,

making the reflection is the easiest bit, I got my water image, and an image of the Burj Khalifa for this tutorial.

okay first, stick some decent music on, get those creative juices flowing.

second, open your water image, and paste the image to be reflected onto a new layer on top of that.

the blend mode you put the reflected image on can vary, depending on color, and how much of the reflection you want to see, with mine, I used Overlay.
123.jpg

it might prove beneficial to apply a small gaussain blur, you could add a displacement map too, but it could be getting more tricky than required.

okay, next the removal of some parts of the reflection.
you need to use a layer mask, if you don't know what one is, and how to use it, check here

basically just paint anything you don't want to see black on the layer mask. it's that simple.

if you want some reflected but some opaque, duplicate the reflection layer, set the blend mode to normal, select the layer mask, and press cntrl/command+ I to invert the layer mask.

voila!

45.jpg

if this doesn't answer your question. lemme know and i'll try to figure something out.