What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with making a picture

Parekura

Hey guys, I need some help with making a picture of a dog's face inside a flower. (call it Collie (dog's race) flower.) :) I posted 2 attachments in the post - 1 for the actual dog's picture and the 2nd for the referrence of what I want to make, but I don't know how to make it. If it is possible to have the dog's ears pop out of the flower. I really want to learn how to do it, so any help is extremely appreciated. Thank you guys, very much for your help, advice and support! :D

Attachments

• a_baa-Flower-dog.jpg
    a_baa-Flower-dog.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 23
  • collie1.jpg
    collie1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great job Bane! Can you make the OP a tutorial?

Bane

I'm not great at tutorials. Would it suffice if I write the steps?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ummmmnn......for me, I can follow written tuts, not sure about the OP.

Anything you provide will be appreciated. You can only do the best you can and that's all anyone could possibly hope for! Thanks Bane!

Bane

It's very quite simple, so should be easy to follow. :p I'll keep it simple while giving the best detail I can. Gonna label it in steps. :)

1. Open the photo of your dog in photoshop and duplicate the original layer so you have a background copy (We need the original doggy layer so don't do anything with it!) then mask the head out. You can do this using any method you'd like. Pen tool, lasso tool, heck even the eraser tool if you'd like and feel you can do a sufficient job ! :) Don't worry about trying to be careful about the edges of the fur, we'll get to that later (;

2. Go to google images, grab your camera or purchase a stock from any stock site of a flower that you would like to use. I just did a quick google search and found the one I used in the image I posted. Then you'll want to mask the flower out from it's background (Don't worry about duplicating here, we only need the flower) . Try to get it as clean as possible, this all just depends on how well you want your edges and realism to be in the final image.

3. Position the flower layer behind the masked doggy head layer that you created earlier, being sure to keep your original doggy layer visible as well. This will put your doggy head above the flower, and leave the flower above your dog's body and everything else behind what you masked out in the duplicated doggy layer.

4. Here's the tricky part, but we're almost over so that's good! =D! Now what you'll need to do is grab your smudge tool, Liquify tool works as well, but I prefer smudge :p. Keep your settings low, around 30-40 percent on the strength of your smudge tool. Then just start smudging outwards from the dogs fur so that it looks like there's fur coming off of it. There's other methods to do this that provide better results, but for simplicity reasons, we'll keep it at the smudge tool :p.

That's basically it! It's just masking out the dog's head, masking out the flower, then putting the dog's head above the flower in the layer palette. The rest of your dog will stay behind the flower and dog head layer. :) Then just smudge in the fur and you're good to go! You can add gradient maps, etc afterwards. You may also need to touch up the individual layers to get them looking more photorealistic if that's what you're going for. I added a brightness/contrast layer to all 3 layers in the image I posted earlier as I felt it made it pop more and not so be dull :p. Just remember, your image will only be as good as the time and effort you put into it. Don't rush. :) GOOD LUCK!