What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Q: How to achieve this ''Print'' effect

Mindtrickz

Hello all, i'm new here so i'll be introducing myself in the introduction forum soon. The reason i registered at the forum is because i was searching for a photoshop forum for some time now and this looks like a really awesome place.

And the reason my first post is in the newbies thread because i really want to know how to achieve the following effect. I know it's a photo of a girl, the wings is a real photo too and the city as the background, now what i really like to know is, what is this effect called or how to achieve this effect so i can use it on some of my designs and print them on a shirt.

So basically that is my goal with my question to know how to achieve this effect on images wether it's a plugin or done with photoshop skills, so i can use this effect for printing like the example i'm showing below:

Schermafbeelding 2013-01-03 om 14.27.27.png

It would be great if i can receive some advice ! :D Thanks in advance!!

I believe you could achieve the b&w effect by duplicating the layer, adding a threshold adjustment, then changing the opacity or blend mode or both of that layer to allow the full photo detail to blend with the black edges of the threshold layer. As for the color, that is done selectively. Select the area you want to colorize, make that selection into a layer, place it on top of the layer stack, then completely fill the selection with the color of your choice. Or it could be done with filter>solarize to get the black, grey, regular features.

That's my take on it. Of course, this is Photoshop; there's more (usually way more) ways than one to skin a cat.

I believe you could achieve the b&w effect by duplicating the layer, adding a threshold adjustment, then changing the opacity or blend mode or both of that layer to allow the full photo detail to blend with the black edges of the threshold layer. As for the color, that is done selectively. Select the area you want to colorize, make that selection into a layer, place it on top of the layer stack, then completely fill the selection with the color of your choice. Or it could be done with filter>solarize to get the black, grey, regular features.

That's my take on it. Of course, this is Photoshop; there's more (usually way more) ways than one to skin a cat.

Thank you for your response. I tried your suggestion on a photo and after the treshold and lowered the opacity of the treshold effect layer (i tried every blending mode but they don't look good)

by_mirish-d5qercn copy.jpg

While this effect comes a little closer, it still isn't what i'm looking for, that example i showed you has a more cartoonish in combination with a grungy feel and look to it and i know that isn't done by hand, those are effects added to a combination of several real photo's together.

I'm not new to Photoshop but i can't for the life of me find out how to achieve that same effect. And i see it so often used on photo t-shirt prints.

I can't edit my post, but i wanted to add this:

Now it kind of looks like a .gif file with the treshold effect and a lowered opacity.

Mindtrickz, check the filter gallery and see if any of those give you a similar effect. As IBClare said, threshold is a good start. Maybe do your threshold first, then run it through a filter. You can also try "posterize," and see how that turns out.

In playing with this type of effect, I tried several of the filters....

I desaturated the original and darkened with a levels adj layer. Then I made duplicates to mess around with.

These two were my favorites

Paint Daubs
Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 12.50.05 AM.png

Texturizer
Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 12.50.15 AM.png

I then tried both layers on top while applying different layer modes to the top layer.

This was Paint Daubs on top
Texturizer on bottom
Hard light layer mode.
Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 12.51.43 AM.png

There are many variations.

Back