What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Band Gifs help!

So I have no clue how to do this, this is a gif and I can't figure out how they layered the actual photo inside of the words WITHOUT the background still on it because when I do a clipping mask the background is still visible and then when I try to put it on the same backround as they did it doesn't look right .. so can you all teach me how to do this ?

Attachments

• tumblr_mbpf7kupG41r6zwdjo1_500.gif
    tumblr_mbpf7kupG41r6zwdjo1_500.gif
    370.9 KB · Views: 34

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's the next step.....

I used the same image I used back in the other tutorial, only updated a little.

Like your sample image, I first duplicated the original (Twice).
On the first or lowest original BG layer, I darkened it with a Curves adjustment layer.

Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 2.47.46 PM.png

Above the darkened BG layer and below the second duplicated BG layer (BG 1), I used my Type Tool to type the text.

Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 2.52.45 PM.png

I then clipped the first BG layer duplicate (BG 1) to the text layer.
In the layers panel you will notice its rasterized, not sure why I did that back then, but it's not needed.
I also added a Layer Style with some effects.

Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 2.55.15 PM.png

Next, above the first duplicated BG layer (BG 1) and below the second duplicated BG layer (BG 2), I added another text layer with the Type Tool. I used the transform function (com/cntrl + T) to rotate the text layer. I also changed the font of this text.

Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 3.00.06 PM.png

I then added the same layer style to the text layer and clipped the second duplicate BG layer (BG 2) to the new text layer. And it's basically ready.

Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 3.03.01 PM.png

For the ease of animating, I then highlighted the BG 2 layer and the "LIVE FOR" text layer and duplicated them, com/cntrl + J, and then merged them, com/cntrl + E. Turn off the other two layers.

Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 3.06.40 PM.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The next step is to open your timeline.
Click on "Create new frame animation".
Highlight the top layer (BG 2 Clipped copy)

In the timeline panel, you should have one frame. Click the "Duplicate selected frames" icon to add a new frame.
Select your Move Tool. Move the BG 2 layer upwards a few clicks (I use the directional arrows).

Repeat.
In the timeline panel, you should have two frames.

Highlight the last frame if it's not highlighted (in the Timeline panel). Click the "Duplicate selected frames" icon to add a new frame.
Select your Move Tool. Make sure the BG 2 layer in your Layers Panel is highlighted, move the BG 2 layer over and to the right (I use the directional arrows).

Repeat.
In the timeline panel, you should have three frames.

Highlight the last frame if it's not highlighted (in the Timeline panel). Click the "Duplicate selected frames" icon to add a new frame.
Select your Move Tool. Make sure the BG 2 layer in your Layers Panel is highlighted, move the BG 2 layer down (I use the directional arrows).

Repeat.
In the timeline panel, you should have four frames.

Select your Move Tool. Make sure the BG 2 layer in your Layers Panel is highlighted, move the BG 2 layer down (I use the directional arrows).

Repeat.
In the timeline panel, you should have five frames.

Select your Move Tool. Make sure the BG 2 layer in your Layers Panel is highlighted, move the BG 2 layer over to the left (I use the directional arrows).

Save to the web as a gif.

This ones a little herky jerky, I did it fast. You should make yours smoother.

FreeYourMind_03.gif

Thanks man! Okay I did what the guy was telling me but as you can tell the quality is not the same .. it looks bad so how can I fix this? I saved it as a png, and also a jpeg and still both look terrible. You think it's just the quality of the actual picture was that bad?

Attachments

• G3tCG6iDki4.png
    G3tCG6iDki4.png
    373.1 KB · Views: 30

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think you have the BG too dark and too large, or you could make the text larger. It also does not have any layer style effects on the text.

Okay this is what happened to the live for layer, it's between the bg 2 and bg1 but I tried to send it in front and make it have the same background inside the text but it's not working:0 help? :( this is what it looks like..1398114063475.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Clip your BG 2 to the "Live For" text layer. Also turn on your BG 2 layer.

In your photo, you have the "Live For" text layer clipped to the BG 1 layer.

Okay! One last problem! I finally finished the frames BUT when I saved it as a gif it wasn't moving at all .. and on the time line on photo shop it was moving so I don't understand why when I save it and look at it, it's not moving :/

I've tried man and no one's replied and I've waited for designers for lyric videos to reply and they don't reply and I've looked at videos on YouTube and they don't have the specific camera movement that I showed you :( I've posted a thread on the after effects forum and no reply :/ please help me find one or can you show me I really need this for my friends band :(

ibclare

Queen Bee
Very good job of help and support Sam. I wish you luck OP in finding the rest of advice you need. I can't help but you might wish to PM Hoogle who works with these effects and programs in and outside Photoshop quite a lot. Give that a try. He's a very helpful guy and can give you resources whether he has time to produce a tutorial or not.