What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating collage with set outline

ajmorin

Hi All,

Got in over my head on this project. I'm attempting to make a collage of images inside of an outline of my state, Alaska. I found a couple of outlines of Alaska, have the images I want to make the collage out of, and have the background image that the outline and collage will go on. I haven't been able to make it much further. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi ajmorin and welcome to PSG.

Lets see what you have so far and that will let us know what we need to help you with.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Perhaps this is what you want to do:

Make a solid image of the state. Just one color/any color fill. Make sure that this layer does not have a background. The state image must stand alone with transparent pixels outside of it.

This is easy to do with a white background, selecting just highlights in the drop down menu under select>color range. The edges aren't qhite so crucial since you'll be filling them with items that attract the eye away.

If you want the edge smoother I will explain how to use refine edge or refine mask. But I think this is a lot of information so far.

Then make your layers so each item is the order you want. Don't worry about them going out of bounds.

When everything is lined up. copy merge the layers. Don't just merge (ctl/cmd + e) -- you don't want to lose all your original work.
Hold down the ctl/cmd and alt/opt key and press the e (which is the merge key). Now you can move that around as one layer/on image.

Just put the multitude of original layers in a group (select all those layers and hold down ctl/cmd. + G.
Then turn off the visibility eye of the group layer.

Now move that group to the bottom of the layer stack just to keep it out of the way but still be available if you want to rearrange your images and copy merge another layer.

Hold the cursor between the merged layer and the state layer. Hold alt/opt and click between the two layers. This will confine your pics to the bounds of the image below. This is called clipping. You clip the above layer to the selection below and the picture shows up in the shape of the selection below. You can move the images around all you want and reposition them.

If you need more direction, ask and I will try to help with visuals. Have you other experience in PS so that you can understand my explanation.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Here is a sample of what you will see when the images are lined up. I used a bunch of images with transparent bg (pngs) but you can line up things, like photos with borders, etc. I used a large background image, but once it is clipped, it is confined to the shape of the state in the layer below it. Making a group isn't necessary. It depends on how many layers you are using. If it gets to be many, then it's a good thing to put them into a group so they are visually out of the way.

With the whole background of poppies showing

clip.jpg

with the bg clipped to the state's shape

clip2.jpg

Last edited:

ajmorin

alaskaCoast.jpg here is what I was hoping to use as an outline, but it seems it would be just as easy to use a solid image. I'll have to play around with your directions ibclare and see what I can come up with. I was planning on using these:atlantic_salmon_pair.jpg,mudsnail.jpg, whirling.jpg plus a couple of others to fill it or something similar

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here is a Black Alaska state on a transparent background. It's a PNG and will appear to be white but it's not.

ak-1-state-map-outline.png

ajmorin

Thanks for all the great help. I got the images on merged into a group separate from the state png, but am having trouble with the clipping. I'll keep fooling with it to see what I can't work out. Thanks again.

ajmorin

Here's my rough draft for the state outline for the poster I'm making. I got it onto the background and it is looking okay, but I'll probably change out at least one of the images. I think I can put a border around the whole thing through feathering. Is this right? Any other suggestions or comments are more than welcome, and thanks again for all the help.ak-state-collage.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One thing you could try is to add layers masks to all the images.

Then use your Brush Tool and a soft brush, with your flow set to about 20% or lower, to soften the hard edges of the images.

Before
Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 11.04.56 AM.png

After
Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 11.04.12 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can also crop some of the Island chain off to tighten up the image.

(I have a layer style stroke as well)

Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 11.10.06 AM.png

ajmorin

Thanks for the tips. I used feathering and some brushes to get this far. I have it on the background, but that's too big of a file to upload. Alaska AIS Collage.png. I'm going to start working on adding text now and see how it looks before I spend too much more time in Photoshop. Thanks again for all the tips, it's so much easier once you know where to start.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Where are you wanting the edge? Around the states outline.....
Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 1.19.56 PM.png

Or around the whole image?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just add a stroke via a layer style. Do you know how to do that?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Quick disclosure.
I just want you to know that I've enjoyed making a collage along with you in this thread. Not that I believe that you're thinking this, but I'm certainly not trying to show you up! All I want to do is demonstrate techniques and offer you some ideas and I like to offer up visual imagery to support the written.

Blurring the BG a little also helps the outline to stand out as well.

Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 1.37.57 PM.png

ajmorin

I have no problem with different frame of thoughts. I was hesitant about the drop shadow, as my background is pretty dark and the lighter edges on the outline help it stand out more. I can see that blurring the background would maybe help focus the attention on the state outline and the text. So you all know this is for about aquatic invasive species in Alaska, trying to help people understand what they are and the impact they have on the environment. Thank you all for your help and suggestions, they have taken my poster from pretty lame to pretty nice.