What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I sort a Color Table?

Bobi Dada

Hi Guys,

I'm using Photoshop for designing and I work on indexed images with 256 colors. I need these colors sorted by color, tone, dankness or brightness so that I can select the right color. I use preset manager to manually sort these colors but it's very time-consuming.

An example of what I have done manually:

01.jpg

Does anyone have better suggestions to sort these pallets?
Are there any other software that does this automatically?

Thank you all
Bobi Dada

nitea

What is you PS version .. if you use CS5 (don't know if different for others ) you can simply click on Window & choose Swatches ... click to extend the menu & choose your color pallet & standard which suits you well. Here is a screen shot.\
color_palette.png

Bobi Dada

Thank u Dear Nitea,

The PS version I'm using is CS6 13.0.
Your suggestion is pretty well but this way I'm only able to add Photoshop's predefined color tables.
Do you also know a way to add my Indexed picture's color table that I have saved to my PC in *.ACT format??

Regards

Bobi Dada

For example I indexed the following photo with 256 colors:

01.jpg

The Color Table looks very messy like this:

02.jpg

How should I sort this color table?

Thank you all :-*

MrToM

Guru
You could save the colour table from the 'Save for Web' window.....its not overly crammed with options but does give some sorting......
[With image mode as Indexed]

colour_table_01.png

1. Select 256 colours. (With preset set to gif)
2. Open the colour table fly-out.
3. Sort by whatever....limited but still....sorting non the less.
4. Save the colour table.

You can then 'load' the table and it will be as you sorted it......

colour_table_02.png

This may not be the most ideal solution but it may get you on the right track if nothing else.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

Bobi Dada

Hi MrTom,

Yes it has few options but this is almost the closest solution for what I wantted.... :) Thank u very much for dedicating time on this...

I saved my Indexed images color table in *.ACT format
then I loaded it in "Save for Web" window
Sorted it by luminance and saved the color table again... :) Very good

Thank u all :-*