What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Resize an image and have the least quality loss?!

Bobi Dada

Hi dear friends,

I need your kind help with resizing images. I use Image Size for decreasing an image size. But it seems to decrease its quality a lot! Is there any way to enhance its quality or keep it's quality in resizing process??

Thanks & Regards
Bobi Dada

Attachments

• blue jay iris bath bckgrnd blur-L.jpg
    blue jay iris bath bckgrnd blur-L.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 34
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 34
Hi MrTom,

How r u?

The resized image seems like this when zooming:

Untitled.jpg

I know it's always been like this, but I wonder to know if there is any way to enhance the image so that it looks fine even in zooming.

Thanks
Bobi

Last edited:
Ah right...

I find the best practice when reducing image size is to use 'Save for web' and as png24.

This has two main advantages:
1. You can save your original as a psd file in case you need to change anything or output to more than one pixel dimensions.
2. PNG is far superior than jpeg. Saving a jpeg again AS a jpeg (overwritting) is always going to induce artefacts.....jpeg is notoriously bad in this respect.

If you use this method you still have the choice of algorithm to use for the reduction.....the content of the image depicts which one to use and its a case of trial and error to find it.

So, save for web....set to png24, set the OUTPUT dimensions and the algorithm, (labelled 'Quality' for some reason).
In CC, at least, the algorithms in the Image > Image Size > Resample dropdown now have a hint as to which operation they are best suited to...

resample_01.png
... unfortunately these hints are not shown when using 'Save for Web'.

Have a play around with those and see if it makes a difference, but remember, what works for one image may not work as well for another.

One other thing as well, have both the original AND the reduced pixel dimensions be a multiple of 8, even if you have to crop the original a little.

Regards.
MrTom.

Are you going to explain to him about this? Not simply a matter of "saving" from a JPG.
Save as a vector image and size will not matter.

You're asking me if I will explain, if you care to be my guest.

Even if you manage to convert it to a bitmap vector or eps / AI format, resizing will still affect the pixels as the image wasn't created as a vector in the first place. MrTom's suggested settings are excellent but it can only go so far to improve and maintain quality.

Unless you'ld be using the image in a vector application like Illustrator or even Corel Draw which can use scalable, converted to bitmap images. Even then, the quality is slightly affected.

Your original is not at a high resolution. You can try increase the original image's resolution while maintaining its size before sizing it down. And using a bit of sharpening.

But there's one thing you shouldn't forget... zooming up close will show the jaggedness. At normal view it will look fine. It's not like you'll be using the resized image magnified.

Get closer to the bird and not rely so much on zoom lenses:mrgreen:

In CC, at least, the algorithms in the Image > Image Size > Resample dropdown now have a hint as to which operation they are best suited to...

View attachment 46309
... unfortunately these hints are not shown when using 'Save for Web'.

Have a play around with those and see if it makes a difference, but remember, what works for one image may not work as well for another.

Regards.
MrTom.

Dear MrTom,

Thanks for your good elaborations... I played with options and as you said it can affect the result in a good way.

Regards
Bobi Dada

Even if you manage to convert it to a bitmap vector or eps / AI format, resizing will still affect the pixels as the image wasn't created as a vector in the first place. MrTom's suggested settings are excellent but it can only go so far to improve and maintain quality.

Unless you'ld be using the image in a vector application like Illustrator or even Corel Draw which can use scalable, converted to bitmap images. Even then, the quality is slightly affected.

Your original is not at a high resolution. You can try increase the original image's resolution while maintaining its size before sizing it down. And using a bit of sharpening.

But there's one thing you shouldn't forget... zooming up close will show the jaggedness. At normal view it will look fine. It's not like you'll be using the resized image magnified.

Hi dear dv8_fx,

Guess I have to install Corel Draw to see the result... :thumbsup:

Regards
Bobi

Back