What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to change opacity of png image with alpha background

blasteralfred

I have a png image, with transparent background. The transparency of image is like 50% or something. The image looks greyish. I want to be pure white with transparent background. I tried color overlay in blending options, but opacity is same. Then I tried filling with color, but the edges of the image then become no more smooth or "perfect". How can I change my image to a pure white, perfect png with transparent background? I am attaching the image.

epMtHsr.png

MrToM

Guru
1. Create a 'New Layer' above the image.
2. Hold down Ctrl (or mac equivalent) and click your IMAGE THUMBNAIL in the layers palette.
3. You should now have a selection around the image. (Marching ants). See warning.
4. Select your new layer.
5. Set your foreground colour.
6. Use Alt+Delete (or mac alternative) several times until the selection is filled to 100% opacity.
7. Turn off or delete your original.

ctrl_selection_01.png

Warning: IF the opacity of the original pixels IS below 50% you will NOT see the marching ants, but the selection is still made. For some reason PS does not display selection marching ants below 50% opacity.

You can check the actual opacity of any pixel by using the opacity option in the info panel...

opacity_01.png

Click the microscopic down arrow, (or the icon), to display the flyout and select Opacity.

Regards.
Mrtom.

Last edited: