What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aadaaam

I have made a page divider:

aadaaam divide.jpg

but it isn't animated...

Could anyone please help me animate it like the one here:

powder.gif

Thankyou for viewing and possibly helping :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi aadaam and welcome PSG.

The animated image you uploaded does work in your post, you have to click on it.

Did you know that you can open any GIF in Photoshop and view it? Just open the timeline and you can see the frames.

I also opened your divider and you have not done anything to it.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Since your not responding, I'll assume that you don't know how to make a slider animation.

I looked around and found this crude tube vid on slider animation. It's not a great video, but it somewhat explains the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvcYhUE7hl0

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: My Nametag

Adam, you seem to know how to animate...............I'm confused. Why were you asking for help on the divider?

aadaaam

When i created a clipping mask over my divider, the rectangle i was using was still visible and did not give the desired effect

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Ok, gotcha........

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
From what I can tell from your sample, you have to apply a black - white - black gradient mask on the rectangle layer. In this way, as the rectangle moves through the white area, it is clearly seen and fades as it enters the gradient darker zone.

I'll give my hypothesis a try in a moment.......

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You may not need the clipping mask for this type of animation. Try it without the CM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can you post your PSD file? (Same as posting an image.)

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Yup... you may need a layer mask with a gradient applied to it....

adamtest.jpg

This is kind of rough coz the gradient need tweaking a bit more to get the right effect.

Here's a sample animation... click the image gif to view its run.

aadaaam-test.gif

The ani is too jerky but that's because this was created with just 30 frames not like your sample that contained more than 200 over and the rectangle movement was in smaller increments which makes it run smoother.

Here's something to consider....

Your divider lacks a reflection like what your sample has ... a sort of ghost reflection on the text.

The above animation was created on top of your sample divider. The animation effect may look different if the shape was in a psd layer below the text.

The text itself may be in a mode style that will make it glow once the rectangle passes over or under it.

Give adding a layer mask like what I did a try. and see how it looks if the layer with shape and mask is moved around the layer hierarchy and set to say soft light mode..