What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

heeeeelp! glass effect

James White

Banned
Hey there!

Does any one know of any tutorials on how to create a glass effect the same as image attached?

would be so awesome have a project I would love to use it for!

Thanks

James:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 4.10.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 4.10.29 AM.png
    808 KB · Views: 3
Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 4.52.27 AM.png I am trying to get it.. using the plastic wrap tool is all i can think of thanks ill check out the links now!

I haven't looked at the links from IamSam so this is my initial thought...

In 3d applications its often required to create both glass and chrome materials.
Surprisingly the two are very similar, very very similar.....[HINT]

You've already done this...

nick3.png

...with a little tweaking I reckon you could get that to look more 'glass' than chrome.
'Plastic Wrap' isn't very nice on its own but used with another filter......you see where I'm going?

Sorry if this is a repeat of the above, but I reckon you just need a push in the right direction rather than a full blown explanation.

Regards.
MrTom.

Your second post looks to be entirely the chrome or plastic effect (ah, just noticed you did that). The first one may be a number of combined effects such as plastic, chrome, etc.

I have made an example using just the glass and chrome effect.

I made duplicates of the original, made these smart objects, set them to overlay (I would continue to try other blend modes), then used the filter masks that are accessible on the smart object to diminish or remove the effects from seleceted portions of the image.

I then made a hue/sat adjustment layer above all to create total desaturation, and used this mask to remove or diminish the saturation fx.

In this case, I also made a levels adjustment and used that mask to alter where the levels changes were not not desirable to me.

This may not be exactly what you are after, but native Photoshop filters do a fair job of simulation. Plastic wrap is of course worth a try instead of the glass, or even combined with others. It appears the chrome filter has been used in both.

GlassFx.jpg

For more transparent effect, I would try the tuts Sam linked for you.

Last edited:

LOL....I must be getting old.....

No disrespect to IamSam but I'd steer well clear of this tutorial... (If you can call it that).

I don't see the point of steps 2-4 inc.
I can't for the life of me decipher what is going on in step 5...I've read between the lines and everything and still can't make head nor tail out of it.
Step 9 is using a different image, or at least, its not what you get just by changing the blend mode to screen...where did the extra detail magically appear from around the bottom of the bin?
It also ends with "you can adjust the effect to the way you like it."....might as well have written that at the start of Step 1 ... LOL

Again, absolutely no disrespect to IamSam, but I think if you follow this tutorial you'll be no better off for it.

Then again, you may find it totally understandable, in which case I'll go sit in the naughty corner for half an hour.

Regards.
MrTom.

No problem MrTom, I was in search mode and I only skimmed over it. I will usually go back and review them a bit closer, but I have not had the time. I appreciate you checking it out and offering an opinion, I'm in no way offended by that!

No problem MrTom...I will usually go back and review them a bit closer...

Cool!

If you do get 5 mins have a peruse over that one....and tell me what step 5 is all about! LOL.

Regards.
MrTom.

Not the best of tutorials and leaves a lot to be assumed.

Steps 2 & 3, After making a selection of the trashcan/pole, removing the trashcan/pole and placing it on it's own layer, I have to assume he also deleted the selection from the original image.

Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 2.55.03 PM.png

obviously there would be nothing behind the trashcan/pole, so he creates a layer to simulate the refracted BG through the soon to be transparent trashcan/pole. He selects an area of the BG and uses the transform function to size it to the missing area.

Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 2.58.39 PM.png

(I turned the selection around)

Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 2.59.47 PM.png

He then Command + clicks the layer with the missing trashcan/pole to make a selection on this transformed BG layer..

Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 3.00.18 PM.png

Since he wanted to trim the outside of the the selection and it was backwards....
he then inverted the selection...

Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 3.00.08 PM.png

and hit delete to trim..

Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 3.00.44 PM.png

Step 5 is not explained well at all. My take on it is that he's using the Pen Tool to make selections of the thin areas he wishes to add highlights, and then painting in the selections with the Brush Tool.

Ah.......did you hear that penny drop?

So the bin was in the original image from the start?
You see, step 2 has the bin on a blue background....thats what confused me...I thought that was the original image from which the bin was being cut. That's why those steps seemed unnecessary.

As to step 5 yeah, that makes sense, now you've said it it kind of fits with the random words liberally scattered around that sentence.

Nicely explained, thanks.
I can sleep tonight now.......yeah, if only.

Regards.
MrTom.

Back