What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how do i directly select layer

sana920

Banned
how do i directly select layer in adobe photoshop without going to layer panel, Because in layer panel lot's of layer available and it's hard to find required layer

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
You can also right click on the canvas which will bring up a list of all the layers that have a non-transparent pixel under the point of clicking. You can select whichever layer you want from the list.

This does rely on you uniquely naming your layers when you create them, for obvious reasons.

Regards.
MrTom.

ibclare

Queen Bee
You can control/command click on an object and it will give you that layer to work on. That doesn't work if you have grouped layers though. It will only take you to the group.

PS: forgot to say the move tool has to be selected when you point to the object.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Try this.....

With auto-select OFF in the Move Tool.

With any other tool selected..........click and hold the V key, add the command/control key and hold, then click any object on your canvas and it will jump to that layer in you layers panel, release the keys and you should still be using the tool you originally had selected.

With auto-select ON in the Move Tool.

With any other tool selected..........click and hold the V key or the command/control key and hold, then click any object on your canvas and it will jump to that layer in you layers panel, release the key and you should still be using the tool you originally had selected.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Thanks for saying what I said but perhaps in better terms Sam. Plus I forgot to mention the move tool, came back edited my post and then saw yours. :redface: