What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get 3d Foam stitch/Embroidery Effect on Logos?

caudio87

Hello All. Im trying to achieve 3d stitching effects similar to what most MLB hats look like for my logo

Ive tried downloading embroidery mockups and Actions from graphic river, but those dont give me the effect Im looking for. Ive seen forums for Ai that can acheive this through complicated steps and the scribble effect but theyre just waaaay over my head. I just need something thats a little more easy to follow (preferably a mockup template or actions..lol)

If any of you can or have achieved this effect, please let me know. it is greatly appreciated

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello caudio87 and welcome to PSG. Is there anyway you could post an image of what your referring to?

In the meantime, take a look here PHOTOSHOP EMBROIDERY EFFECTS and see if there's any effect you like. If so, just click on the image and then choose visit page.

caudio87

Hello caudio87 and welcome to PSG. Is there anyway you could post an image of what your referring to?

In the meantime, take a look here and see if there's any effect you like. If so, just click on the image and then choose visit page.

The forum isnt allowing me to post links or attach images until I reach 5 (EDIT: I just made 5 blank replies and posted a link below)
3d-puff-embroidery.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Caudio, I did not forget our 5 post rule when I asked you to post an image.................it does not apply to posting images.

Did you check out the link I posted?

Last edited:

caudio87

Yes thanks for your link. I have tried all those mockups and actions from the internet. but The mock up pattern fills are just straight lines from left to right and dont really go with the direction of the logo. And the actions i tried worked a little, but it was only a stroke of threading around my logo as opposed to filling like the image above

caudio87

View attachment 47864
Here is an example of what Im trying to do. As i stated so far Ive only found tutorials and mockups that make the stitchin look only horizontal. Im trying to get a more realistic appearance

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, I see now. I will see what I can come up with. Hopefully someone else will come along with an idea as well.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is really fast, but it's just painted using the Brush Tool........

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 2.49.13 PM.png

It needs more work, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
If you have it, use your embroidery software to create all of the letters of the alphabet on screen. Then make a screenshot of them, or if the software lets you export the file as a jpg etc. save them. Then open them in PS and make you a set of custom brushes. I just sold my embroidery software or I would help you out, The software creates a very realistic representation of what the stitches will look like.

nachofrades

The best way for that is to paint it with a set of layers for highlights and shadows (too painted) of course you need a wacom tablet or similar...

DA3411

This is really fast, but it's just painted using the Brush Tool........

View attachment 47876

It needs more work, but you get the idea.

Hello,

May I ask how you achieved this effect, I am working on a logo and that look is exactly what I am looking for, unfortunately I am more of an Adobe Illustrator guy than Photoshop.

Here is a look at my Vector Logo that needs to come to life! I attached my .ai file and a layered .psd file. ANy help would be very much appreciated!!!

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

DA

Attachments

• Teammates Sample02-01.psd
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • Teammates Sample02.ai
    1.6 MB · Views: 10

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Let me see if I can find the old PSD from this thread, if not I can make a new one. It was super simple, I just used the Brush Tool to make this.

I opened your PSD, you seem to have rasterized your text. What font did you use?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No answer?

I will have to find it myself.

Create the text using the font of choice. Never rasterize the font, you may need it later to make corrections.
I will only use one letter.

Turn off the original font layer.
Create a new layer. We will call this the "Thread Layer".
Cmd/Cntrl + click the font layers thumbnail to create a selection like this...........
Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 2.54.21 PM.png

Select your Brush Tool.
Color to whatever you like, I used white.
Mode to normal.
Opacity to 100%
Flow to 100%
Hardness to 98%
Size to 3px

Note: Leave your selection on as you will be working inside of it.

Begin painting in the thread lines......
Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 3.06.47 PM.png

About halfway through, you may need to darken the threads by setting your brush to a darker color and toning them down. You will then resume with another layer of threads.
Doing this will add depth.
Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 3.09.27 PM.png

At this point you may need to clean up some ends with the Erasure Tool.
Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 3.09.52 PM.png

And then repeat the above steps on the remaining area.
Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 3.12.42 PM.png

Since we have had the edges masked with the selection, the edges are are too straight.
Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 4.13.19 PM.png

Use the Eraser Tool to 'rough up' the edges.
Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 3.16.15 PM.png

Create a new layer.
Now we need to Cmd/Cntrl + click the "Thread layer" to make a selection.

Select the Brush Tool again.
Set the opacity to 100%
Flow to 1%
Hardness to 0%

With a darker shading color, shade the "Thread Layer" like this.......
Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 3.19.31 PM.png

All that's left to do it to add a layer style with an inner shadow and a drop shadow.
You will have to tinker with that until you get it to where you like it.
Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 3.25.17 PM.png

You could also add a highlight layer if you wish.

DA3411

Hi IamSam,

Wow thank you so much for all that!!!! The font i used is called Handsome, but I had to make it outlines in AI to tweak and alter it a bit. I customized the lettering quite a bit.

Your instructions are great, sadly I am not nearly that well versed in Photoshop as I am in Illustrator. This is exactly the effect I wish for on the lettering and white border. It is absolutely perfect. I am more than appreciative of the time you invested in this. I am sorry I didn't respond sooner, I had a few appointments and just got home. You are very talented!!

I am sure that took you a lot of time and I am very grateful. I just don't know if I can do it. Beyond impressive... Now I am drooling over this!

To show my appreciation, are you a sports person, do you have a favorite sport team and a favorite number?

You are very cool, thank you. I wish i had the chops for this.

DA

No answer?

I will have to find it myself.

Create the text using the font of choice. Never rasterize the font, you may need it later to make corrections.
I will only use one letter.

Turn off the original font layer.
Create a new layer. We will call this the "Thread Layer".
Cmd/Cntrl + click the font layers thumbnail to create a selection like this...........
View attachment 64442

Select your Brush Tool.
Color to whatever you like, I used white.
Mode to normal.
Opacity to 100%
Flow to 100%
Hardness to 98%
Size to 3px

Note: Leave your selection on as you will be working inside of it.

Begin painting in the thread lines......
View attachment 64443

About halfway through, you may need to darken the threads by setting your brush to a darker color and toning them down. You will then resume with another layer of threads.
Doing this will add depth.
View attachment 64444

At this point you may need to clean up some ends with the Erasure Tool.
View attachment 64445

And then repeat the above steps on the remaining area.
View attachment 64446

Since we have had the edges masked with the selection, the edges are are too straight.
View attachment 64447

Use the Eraser Tool to 'rough up' the edges.
View attachment 64448

Create a new layer.
Now we need to Cmd/Cntrl + click the "Thread layer" to make a selection.

Select the Brush Tool again.
Set the opacity to 100%
Flow to 1%
Hardness to 0%

With a darker shading color, shade the "Thread Layer" like this.......
View attachment 64449

All that's left to do it to add a layer style with an inner shadow and a drop shadow.
You will have to tinker with that until you get it to where you like it.
View attachment 64450

You could also add a highlight layer if you wish.

DA3411

I should add that if I did have a layered .PSD i am competent enough to play with Styles for shadows ect. I just can't seem to perform the brush work that you so amazingly have done.

Again, I am grateful for your time. Also, please tell me your favorite sport and team and number, I want to make something cool for you as a small token of my appreciation!

DA

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
DA3411 said:
I am sure that took you a lot of time and I am very grateful. I just don't know if I can do it.
Actually it didn't take long at all to do the one letter..........maybe about five minutes. The technique is very simple. One thing I didn't mention is that you definitely will need a Pen & Tablet. This would be crazy hard with a mouse only!

DA3411 said:
Again, I am grateful for your time. Also, please tell me your favorite sport and team and number, I want to make something cool for you as a small token of my appreciation!
No need, just a thanks will do. It was not a bother and I enjoyed making it for you. If I can be of any further help, let me know.

DA3411

Then I am in trouble, I am just a mouse guy. I spend most of my time in illustrator and searched high and low for ideas on how to do in Vector, but nothing would come as close to as what you did! I think I can only dream, I could never do what you had done. I am bummed, so close yet so far!

D

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Let me do some looking to see if I can find some technique you could use in Illustrator. I bet there is something out there.