What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Layer cut from layer gives white border.. help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Create a new document.

Make two layers, one black and one red.

Use your Pen Tool to make a selection of the red layer.

When done, Right click and choose make a selection.

In the next window set your feather radius to 0% ant tick the anti-alias box, click OK.

Now either hit Command/control + J or go to LAYER > NEW > LAYER VIA COPY

Turn off the original red layer.

You should have a red object (your Pen Tool selection) on a black background...

Post your results.

I think I was not clear in my last post;) When I zoom in to the max the white border is gone. When I zoom out to the max, the white border is also gone. When I am zoomed in at around the level that I used for creating the path and the selection the border appears, but when I export the project the white border is gone again. So the problem was really a rendering problem (I guess?) I only see the border while editing at certain zoom-levels, not in the results so I don't have a problem anymore.

I am just wondering why it still shows the border at certain zoom levels, again, this doesn't affect my final exported picture, so the real problem is solved;)

Tom Mann

Guru
Suggestions:

1. If your video driver is more than a few months old, see if an update is available. If so, install it. When you said that it only occurred at intermediate magnifications, I remembered that I heard of a problem like this a few years ago, and, I'm pretty sure it was tracked down to the video driver.

2. In PS, go to preferences / graphics processor settings and try the "use graphics processor" both on and off.

T

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
And..if your checking the video driver go to the manufacturers website to check. You may or may not be using Windows, but the routine that Windows go through to tell you whether or not the driver is up to date or not, isn't worth anything. Look at your device and determine the version and date, then compare to the manufactures latest release date.

Suggestions:

1. If your video driver is more than a few months old, see if an update is available. If so, install it. When you said that it only occurred at intermediate magnifications, I remembered that I heard of a problem like this a few years ago, and, I'm pretty sure it was tracked down to the video driver.

2. In PS, go to preferences / graphics processor settings and try the "use graphics processor" both on and off.

T

MrToM

Guru
If its any consolation I have the same issue but to be honest I've never really noticed it.

Using the psd file YOU uploaded It happens below 63% zoom.
My workflow never usually consists of a 'cut out' layer above its own hole without doing something else to either layer afterwards....so the situation never really arises....kind of negates the process if you just leave it as-is.

@Tom Mann 's suggestion is probably the best solution, update the video driver, for me this didn't have any effect but that's not to say it won't work for you.

If you can live with it, and I don't see why you can't, then I'd just ignore it. The actual document is fine and although its annoying it doesn't stop you working on it.

If you can't then try this: (No guarantee but it works for me)
1. Convert that layer into a smart object.
2. Open the smart layer to edit the contents.
3. Create the new layer using whichever process gives you the best result as described previously.
4. Save the psb file to update the original document.
5. Try zooming the original document again, it should now zoom at all levels without the transparent edge.

Not ideal but it works if you absolutely need it to.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.