What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Layer cut from layer gives white border.. help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys. Let me dive straight into my problem. I want to create a layer out of a part of another layer. So there are 2 layers, but the picture still looks the same. The original layer is a picture of a guy in a garden. I want to cut the guy out and create a new layer out of him. I took the following steps.

- Used the pen-tool to make a path around the guy
- transformed the path into a selection
- created a new layer out of this selection
- placed the new layer (the cut-out guy) on top of the original layer (the rest of the picture)

The problem is that now I have a really thin white line around the new layer. How can I avoid this line/border?

I want this because I want to create a 3d effect in after effects later on (parallax effect).

Tom Mann

Guru
It's a bit odd, because your method should have worked, but try this:

Once you have your selection, go to:

select / modify / contract, enter a value of 1 pixel, and work with that selection to generate the new layer.

Hopefully, that will get rid of the white fringe.

If it doesn't work, post your PSD file, and we'll be happy to take a look at it.

TomM

Nope it doesn't work. The strange thing is that if I just draw a rectangular shape and make that into a new layer there is no white border, but when I draw a path with the pen-tool and transform it into a selection (doesn't matter how simple the path is) and I create a new layer by using: Layer > New > Layer by cutting (laag uit knippen --> I am using the Dutch version of the program which might be a bit unhandy for this forum) It appears.

Added the .psd, the hand is selected for cut out to a new layer. Hope you can help, already thanks for the response:)

Attachments

• handcutout.psd
    7.4 MB · Views: 9
Managed to change to English Photoshop. Problem is the same with all shapes I draw with the pen tool and transform into a selection and then layer > New > via cut

iDesign

Not sure if I quit understand what you mean here, but have you tried to cut out the object using the Select Tool, right click the object after cut out and click "Layer Via Copy".

By doing that you should not get a white border.

Tom Mann

Guru
There is no white border when I use your work path to make a selection and place the result on a new layer (attachment 1). However, if you do not de-select the work path, you will see a white border (attachment 2). I suspect this is the cause of your problem.

Please let me know if this was it.

Cheers,

Tom M

Attachments

• handcutout-01_jpg_crop.jpg
    handcutout-01_jpg_crop.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 37
  • screen_grab-white_border_with_work_path_selected.jpg
    screen_grab-white_border_with_work_path_selected.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 37

Chsavage

I have a lot of luck removing the white border by going into the layer drop down, then going to the bottom where it deals with matting, and then selecting remove white matte. Of course as was previously stated your method shouldn't cause a border, that's a bit odd.

Hi guys, thanks for the advise, the problem is not solved though. Maybe I was not clear enough. When I draw out a path with the pen-tool and I make that into a selection and I create a new layer out of that selection by using new layer via cut the white border is not around the new layer, but when the new layer and the background-layer (with the piece cut out) are both visible, you see the white border. So when I create a new layer by cutting out a selection the pixels that were on the selection-lines are cut out. I want to have the complete picture but just divided into different layers.

I can use layer via copy but the problem is that the original part is still in the background, when I later on am drawing that part of the background in again I cannot determine which parts precisely are cut out in the new layer and which parts are not, so that's why this isn't convenient.

I hope it is more clear now, if not I can upload al my steps in pictures to show the problem.

MrToM

Guru
Use this method to create the selection from your path:

Open Path Panel.
RIGHT Click the Work Path.
Click Make Selection...
In the window UNCHECK Anti Aliased

Anti_Alias_01.png

Click OK.
Open Layers Panel
Layer > New > Layer Via Cut

You should now NOT have any white between the two layers.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I used to run into this problem when using the Pen Tool for making selections with very blurred edges. The Pen Tool is used more for well defined edges.
Anther thing you could try is making adjustments in Refine Edge or Refine Mask.

On another note, I went to the Channel masking technique with these weak and blurry borders and I stopped having these issues.
Channel masking is about rendering a duplicated channel layer so that it's only black or white with grays acting like a feather.

Here the hand is isolated using a Channel masking technique, and the original layer, which is below this layer, is turned off.

Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 8.53.17 AM.png

Here is the isolated hand layer, again is above the original, which is now turned on. No white border.

Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 8.52.50 AM.png

I know this does not help your current situation, it's just something you might consider.

The anti-alias switch didn't help. I find it really strange that such a basic thing causes so much trouble. I will try the channel masking technique but I just don't get why pixels are getting deleted. Even if I use refine edge it is still not cutting between the pixels but deletes the path/selection (or at least a part of it)...

So can anyone help me with getting a new layer based on a custom made selection without any pixel-loss? Even if I draw a square with the penn-tool and I new layer via cut I get the white/transparent border, which is the space between the new layer and the original picture with the new layer cut out.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
TVH said:
Even if I draw a square with the penn-tool and I new layer via cut I get the white/transparent border, which is the space between the new layer and the original picture with the new layer cut out.
Can you describe the process your using in the above example please,

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Make sure your feather radius amount is set to 0 when making your selection from the Pen Tool.

Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 11.19.55 AM.png

Tom Mann

Guru
I'm sorry, but I really don't understand why you see what you have reported. I just tried a variety of sharp edged (ie, non-feathered) selection tools with different angles, shapes, etc., and they all give me perfect cutouts with perfect overlap with hole from which they were removed. I've included one example below.

I did not try to reproduce your procedure. Rather, I used a procedure that has worked well for me for years:

a) Make a non-feathered selection;

b) "control-J" makes a copy of the selection and puts it on a new layer immediately above the starting layer, aligned perfectly with its starting location;

c) if necessary, re-select the starting layer.

d) hit "control-X" to make a hole in the starting layer

e) Click on the "eye" icon to turn on and off the layer with the cutout material.

As you can see from the animated GIF, this works perfectly. There is absolutely no trace of a seam.

My suggestion is for you to try this on your system to see if you have the problem with this method, as well.

Cheers,

Tom M

Attachments

• no_white_edges_when_remove_an_area-for_GIFcheckerboard_transparency_background.gif
    no_white_edges_when_remove_an_area-for_GIFcheckerboard_transparency_background.gif
    479.1 KB · Views: 12

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah Tom, that's what I think, it's either in the process he's using or he needs to reset his preferences.

Ok.. Guys.. I am super sorry for my noobishness but I know what I am doing wrong:p when I zoom in a lot or zoom out a lot the white borders disappear.. When I don't zoom i see the deleted path/selection as deleted pixels ,but when I zoom in closer it disappears.. So I guess it is a rendering thing? Anyone know why I still see the border when I am zoomed in at the same as when editing? But I think my problem is now solved..:p thanks a lot!

Tom Mann

Guru
Same here. Absolutely no trace of a white border at any magnification.

Don't give up. We will get to the bottom of this.

Tom

PS - Did you go through the steps I outlined a few minutes ago? If not, please do, and report back. It will only take a minute. Be sure to follow my recipe exactly so we don't introduce other possible confounding factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.