What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the name of this effect and is it available in ps elements

onehunglow

Hello,

Here is a stencil image found online: 5208d1406622336-4583-image.jpg 5209d1406622354-4584-image.jpg

What's the name of the effect applied to achieve the breakup of the colours (i.e. the different greys). Is there a filter on there to smooth the shapes of the tones?

Thank you

Tom Mann

Guru
To get the smooth contouring effect seen in the example you provided, I usually start with a very softened version of the photo, and then apply filter / artistic / cutout in order to give me an initial guide. I would mask out the eyes, mouth, and any other details that I didn't want to contour.

girl_with_demo_of_contouring-acr-ps01a-for_GIF.gif

To improve this, I then would use the pen tool to produce my own paths which would roughly follow the contours produced by the cutout filter, but which could be smoother or more angular, contain cusps (like this example does), etc. One could also produce new contours in-between those generated by the automated process described above.

I would then turn off the contours and filled areas produced by the automated filter, and would fill each new path that I generated with successively lighter or darker shades of gray, as needed. I didn't demonstrate this because this is the most time-consuming step.

HTH,

Tom M

onehunglow

To get the smooth contouring effect seen in the example you provided, I usually start with a very softened version of the photo, and then apply filter / artistic / cutout in order to give me an initial guide. I would mask out the eyes, mouth, and any other details that I didn't want to contour.

View attachment 48186

To improve this, I then would use the pen tool to produce my own paths which would roughly follow the contours produced by the cutout filter, but which could be smoother or more angular, contain cusps (like this example does), etc. One could also produce new contours in-between those generated by the automated process described above.

I would then turn off the contours and filled areas produced by the automated filter, and would fill each new path that I generated with successively lighter or darker shades of gray, as needed. I didn't demonstrate this because this is the most time-consuming step.

HTH,

Tom M

Hi Tom, thanks so much for the reply. When you say you used the pen tool do you have a digital pen and pad you use with the software?

Tom Mann

Guru
I do own a Wacom tablet, but that's not the pen tool was referring to in my post.

I was referring to the pen tool which is a software tool that is part of the full version of Photoshop.

Just Google {pen tool photoshop}.

Tom

onehunglow

I do own a Wacom tablet, but that's not the pen tool was referring to in my post.

I was referring to the pen tool which is a software tool that is part of the full version of Photoshop.

Just Google {pen tool photoshop}.

Tom

I understand. Thanks very much for your replies Tom.