What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create ripple animation for a still image

l2p

Hi,

I'm just starting out with PS and I'm trying to figure out how to create a ripple animation using an already existing still. Most of the Google searches I have done all involve water ripples which is not what I am looking for. I found one site psd.tu-torial.com/photoshop-tutorials/ripple-effect/ but it seems to be outdated and/or missing some steps (?).

Can someone explain the Step 5-8 process? My image just shows the black ellipses instead of the blank layer. Or if someone could direct me to another tutorial then that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello I2p and welcome to PSG.

In step 5, you highlight/select the layer with the anime girl (layer 1). Then you hold the Command/Control key and use your mouse to mouse click the thumbnail of the layer with the ellipses, or what they describe as layer C. This makes a selection (marching ants) of the ellipses.

In step 6, you feather the selection you just made following the tutorials instruction.

In step 7, make sure your layer 1 is still highlighted/selected and then hit Command/Control + J. This will make a new layer (layer 2) that will have the ellipses with the girl inside them.

In step 8, highlight/select the newly made layer (layer 2) and enter the liquify function as directed by the tutorial.

In step 9, select the bloat tool from the tools located on the liquify's tool bar. Make the size of your bloat tool just a bit larger than the width of the individual ellipses and bloat around each one of them. Hit OK when done. (not sure on this one as the tutorial is rather vague on how to do this.)

Hope that helps.

l2p

Hi,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I have no idea what I am doing wrong because I can't seem to replicate what they are doing. Their ellipse C layer is on top of your still image but it's not altering the original image until you copy it and make layer 2. Here's an image of what I'm getting: //i58.tinypic.com/255p98x.jpg

Again thanks for the help. Still new this. :\

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello. You still here?

Your image page does not work, just upload it here if possible, thanks.

l2p

Ah sorry, here is the image. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 255p98x.jpg
    255p98x.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 4

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, try this......

Completely delete your layer 0. Replace it.

Go back and between steps 4 and 5 turn off the ellipse layer. Continue to step 5.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In step 5, you highlight/select the layer with the anime girl (layer 1). Then you hold the Command/Control key and use your mouse to mouse click the thumbnail of the layer with the ellipses, or what they describe as layer C. This makes a selection (marching ants) of the ellipses. The selection will look like this.......

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 4.02.43 PM.png

In step 6, you feather the selection you just made following the tutorials instruction.

In step 7, make sure your layer 1 is still highlighted/selected and then hit Command/Control + J. This will make a new layer (layer 2) that will have the ellipses with the girl inside them.
It should now look like this.....

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 4.06.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 4.07.16 PM.png

l2p

Holy ****, thanks a lot.

I finally figure out what I was doing wrong, I'm such a idiot! I didn't realize there is a difference between clicking on the image icon (i.e., the ellipse picture icon) and the layer option (i.e., C or Ellipse 1 in my own setup). Thank you so much!