What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rays of Light/Glow Radiating Out from Edges of an Object?

Eunomiac

I've been scouring the Internet for what I hoped would be a fairly straight-forward effect, but so far I've come up empty handed. I'd very much appreciate any help you can provide, and thanks in advance for your time!

Basically, I have a set of symbols as vector paths, and I would like to give them something similar to a Blending Mode/Outer Glow. However, instead of the outer glow changing uniformly as it gets farther away from the object's edges, I want to create a radiating flare effect, like this:

Step_9.jpg

Unfortunately, all of the examples I've found online (including this one) require that the glow radiates out of a single, central point (for a circular distribution; they typically use radial gradients and/or radial blur).

Is there a way to recreate this effect, but radiating out from the edges of a non-circular object (instead of a central point)---much like the behavior of a typical Blending Mode/Outer Glow?

Thanks again!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Is something like this what your referring to? This is rough.

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 1.03.36 PM.png

Eunomiac

Yes, exactly that, thank you! From there, I'd try to extend the "glow" farther away from the edges of the object, and add a bit more variation between the light and dark parts of the rays (basically, as close to that eclipse image as I can get it)---but I'm sure I can figure that part out myself; you've nailed the part I was clueless about :)

So... million-dollar question... how'd ya do it?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, let me work up a tut, be back in a few.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I created a black shape. This will be your symbol.

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 2.21.15 PM.png

And then I placed it on a black BG. Of course it disappears.

I created a new layer below the shape layer. With this layer highlighted, I then selected the shape by Command/Control + clicking the shapes thumbnail.
I then went to SELECT > MODIFY > EXPAND

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 2.17.21 PM.png

I expand the selection by 20px.

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 2.18.21 PM.png

I then filled the new selection with white. Command/Control + D to deselect.

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 2.16.58 PM.png

I then went to FILTER > BLUR > RADIAL BLUR and blurred it by 65.

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 2.15.27 PM.png

Then I turned on the original shape layer.
Should look like this.

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 2.19.00 PM.png

Then I selected the Smudge Tool set to a strength of 65% and a soft brush.
I brushed the edges to add the radiating arm effect.

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 12.56.00 PM.png

I reduced it's opacity to 65% and added a Gradient Fill adjustment layer which I clipped to the white expanded layer. Form here you can make a custom gradient.

Good luck!

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 2.36.46 PM.png

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
Hey Eunomiac please come back with your efforts, Sam when to great lengths in showing all of us how it can be done:thumbsup:

MrToM

Guru
Just to add to IamSam 's excellent technique...
Before adding the 'Radial Blur' you could also add some Noise...

radial_glow.png

It just adds a little (pre) randomness to it.
This was then blurred as IamSam has instructed the only difference being I blurred it twice.
You could then carry on as IamSam describes.

Regards.
MrTom.