What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making a true duotone that looks like a gradient map

renner

Hey guys, maybe you can help me with this.

I have a project where I am printing orange onto an uncoated paper, and to keep the color vibrant I am printing the orange as spot PMS 151. In one instance, the orange is overlayed over a photograph (it was an orange layer set to mulitply over a greyscale image), so I'm trying to turn it into a duotone. However, when I use the duotone tool, it combines the orange and black in the darks and I get is this:
duotone.jpg

When what I really want is more like what you get from a gradient map, where the lights are orange and the darks are black:
gradient map.jpg

Is there anyway I can get that effect and still save it in duotone color mode to preserve the spot color information? I tried creating a gradient map in duotone mode, but the result was pretty muddy.

Anybody have any ideas? It might be that I'm just going about this all wrong. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!