What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laminate woods(multicolor), how to acheive the desired effect?

teknogeek1300

Hi all, first post! I'm trying to achieve a colored laminated wood effect. I've tried leveling out the wood, and using threshold to separate the grain lines, but I'm getting inconsistent results. Does anyone know of any tutorials that might apply to my situation, or ideas?

What I'm trying to achieve:
BlackWidow.jpg

Here is what I'm working with(the two shades of wood I'll be using):
color_example.jpg

PSD: mediafire.com/download/v7rl2d7qn1b94e7/laminatewood.psd

Last edited:
What are you going to place the laminated effect on?

If I understand correctly, what you need is a greyscale timber image over which you can 'paint' the red and black using your UV template.....would that be right?

Something like this?
laminatewood_MT_01.png

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, what you need is a greyscale timber image over which you can 'paint' the red and black using your UV template.....would that be right?

Regards.
MrTom.

I'm interested in separating the wood between the grain lines, so I can color each section(or ring, not sure what the correct term is) individually. Without having to manually subtract each one from the other.

Something like this?

Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 12.07.15 PM.png

Or this...

Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 12.14.43 PM.png

Last edited:
I'm interested in separating the wood between the grain lines, so I can color each section(or ring, not sure what the correct term is) individually. Without having to manually subtract each one from the other.

Ah, right...as in IamSam's example.

I'm not sure you'll be able to do it, not as an automatic process anyway. It would be similar to having a chessboard and asking PS to select just one black square.

Using your psd as an example I'd just add either a white layer mask to the red wood layer and paint on it in black to reveal the black wood, or, add a black mask and paint on it in white to replace the red wood.

Either way I'm not sure you'll get away from manually selecting what becomes red and what becomes black.

Regards.
MrTom.

Yeah MrT, that's what I did. White layer mask on the red layer. In the first example i used a Pen Tool to make a selection. In the second I used the Brush Tool.

Not an automated effect.

I place the red layer on top of the black layer

I placed a white layer mask on the red layer

I then used the PEN TOOL to make the selections (there are 2 in this example) and then I fille the selections with black.

I also moved the black layer so the wood grain would not be the same.

Back