What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help/learn something

arbaz456

Hello. I am kinda newbie with Photoshop. I have few question related to Photoshop and want to ask. Anyone up for that? :)

arbaz456

Detail: I want to ask that how to send a picture into the background. Like what effect is used in Photoshop? Can someone guide me that?

Here's an example picture:
BvVMejGIYAAVE0G.jpg

In the example, the middle picture is in the background or made it look similar to the background. Anyone guide me?

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
In the example shown, I would say that the man's shirt area was dropped in as a separate layer on top of the background. The opacity was lowered to make the effect you speak of. Then the head of the man was on another layer with no opacity changed. The other elements were built on top of these layers.

arbaz456

So basically it's done with changing the opacity of each part. Right?

Another question. How to bring a picture [one with background] to a picture and set it with the background/texture and make it looked matched to the new background? Opacity work or some other feature?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is one way to do it.

Use a layer mask and a Gradient.

Open your original and make a duplicate. Turn the original layer off.

In your COLOR PICKER, sample the background layer of either the original or the duplicate.

Create a new layer between the original and the duplicate. Fill it with the newly sample color.

Highlight the duplicated original (on top) and add a white layer mask.

Press D on your keyboard, this will reset your fore and background colors to black and white default.

Select your GRADIENT TOOL, in your gradient editor, you can use the Foreground to transparent preset or the Foreground to background preset.

With your layer mask selected, (click on layer mask) use a linear gradient starting from the bottom upwards while holding the shift key. Repeat if necessary, or backup until you get it where you want it.

Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 3.59.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 3.56.58 PM.png

Last edited:

arbaz456

This is one way to do it.

Use a layer mask and a Gradient.

Open your original and make a duplicate. Turn the original layer off.

In your COLOR PICKER, sample the background layer of either the original or the duplicate.

Create a new layer between the original and the duplicate. Fill it with the newly sample color.

Highlight the duplicated original (on top) and add a white layer mask.

Press D on your keyboard, this will reset your fore and background colors to black and white default.

Select your GRADIENT TOOL, in your gradient editor, you can use the Foreground to transparent preset or the Foreground to background preset.

With your layer mask selected, (click on layer mask) use a linear gradient starting from the bottom upwards while holding the shift key. Repeat if necessary, or backup until you get it where you want it.

View attachment 48435

View attachment 48436

Tutorial video possible for all that?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No need for a video, this is super simple.

The only problem might be prepping the image for the fade effect. I can't tell unless you post the image you wish to fade.

arbaz456

I am new with Photoshop so I am not aware about these things. Can you instead tell me step by step briefly? With pictures if possible? I appreciate it. Since I want to make posters of Football Matches but all I can do now is making simple sort of Football Posters.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
arbaz456
You might be in a bit over your head in making these posters if you don't have an understanding of what Sam explained. Suggest you go and watch some basic videos on YouTube etc on Photoshop. You need to understand the tools, terminology etc to equip yourself for the work you want to do. No amount of just hit and miss inquiries in this forum will be sufficient and will result in a waste of your time and forum members until you do this. Practice makes perfect and it takes a lot of it, trust me, I know.

Last edited:

arbaz456

arbaz456
You might be in a bit over your head in making these posters if you don't have an understanding of what Sam explained. Suggest you go and watch some basic videos on YouTube etc on Photoshop. You need to understand the tools, terminology etc to equip yourself for the work you want to do. No amount of just hit and miss inquiries in this forum will be sufficient and will result in a waste of your time and forum members until you do this. Practice makes perfect and it takes a lot of it, trust me, I know.

That's what I am doing. Practicing and making few posters myself. Check your Inbox.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
arbaz456 said:
Can you instead tell me step by step briefly?
This was a step by step.

I completely agree with Larry! Until you're familiar with the basic tools of Photoshop, then you're not going to understand what we're explaining while trying to help you.

Paul

Former Member
Arbaz you are guilty of doing what we all did when first opening Photoshop we ran, we all ran around clicking on all the clickable things and half hour later we are going to create masterpieces.
One real answer to this as far as you are concerned is PATIENCE just a little bit of patience and stopping to look at what is offered and you as will all of us will improve.