What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gif of slowly appearing image/text

l2p

I've been trying to Google a tutorial for this but I can't seem to find one. How would I go about in creating a gif where an image/word gradually appears much like it does for a crystal ball (the sort of cloudy, wave/distorted effect it is portrayed as in the media).

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The last tutorial you were using didn't work out?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Paul, I think he' referring to something like this, only appearing and not disappearing......and more slowly...

ColeShimmering_(1).gif

Klea_animation.gif

Paul

Former Member
Sam the links work for that too, just use half of the tut:mrgreen:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Paul, I'm not following you, I read and watched all the linked tutorials, none of them explain how to make the shimmering distorted effect before appearing. I can do it, I just don't know if I can explain it! :cheesygrin:

Paul

Former Member
Yeah my bad i was just passing across how to gif tuts, minus the shimmer/wobble effect my bad.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Don't know for sure if this is what the OP wanted but I think so.

Question is.........how'd you do it?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
LOL.....

With Gaussian Blur and Twirl filters applied in increments on 10 duplicates of our victim's face.

GBlurTwirl.jpg

I applied the filters on 10 duplicates of the face layer. Layer 3 copy 1 , Gaussian Blur (5%) / Twirl (30%), Layer 3 copy 2 , Gaussian Blur (10%) / Twirl (60%), Layer 3 copy 3 , Gaussian Blur (15%) / Twirl (90%), and so on.

For the fade out, I used another duplicate set (10 layers) of the face but applied the TWIRL in the opposite direction.

When done with the face edits, create the animation timeline selecting the appropriate layers for the sequencing.

Note.... you can also use the other distort filters but may need a bit of experimenting in order to get a flowing look. For a smoother animation you may need more duplicate layers and applying the filters in smaller increments.

Here's the psd for anyone who wants a look see.... Done in PS7 and layers not in sequence.... But you'll get the idea and also see what other effect elements I've added into the image.

Attachments

• Paul-in-da-Ball.psd
    5.6 MB · Views: 1

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What to do? No pixs of Sam to use....

I wonder why? :rofl: