What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this lighting effect called and does anybody have it so I can download it.

kaiouji

Hi

I am looking for this lighting
lighting mystery.jpg

can some please tell me where I can download that effect. Thanks

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Re: What is this lighting effect called and does anybody have it so I can download it

Hi there.

If it's the rays you speak of, it may not even be a lighting effect or brush. More like a motion blur of something then warped into place.

kaiouji

Re: What is this lighting effect called and does anybody have it so I can download it

ah so there is no way to find a jpeg of that ray

kaiouji

okay =) thanks

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator

Sorry it took longer...

Not saying this was the way the artist of that video accomplished the image. And others here may have a better way.

To create the rays, begin on a new layer above the background. Create the fill as shown and fill white.

rays1.jpg

Next, apply the WIND filter using the settings as shown.

rays2.jpg

Press CTRL+F to repeat the filter effect until you have....

rays3.jpg

Create a rectangular selection and FEATHER the selection....

rays4.jpg

Press CTRL+SHIFT+I to inverse the selection and hit delete. Repeat Delete a second time to soften the edges more.

rays5.jpg

Depending on what you end up with, you may have to use Sharpen on the layer image.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator

The next part is a bit tricky.

Transform and skew the image as shown. ....

rays6.jpg

Now the hard part.... Use Transform Warp to warp distort the rays manipulating the grids and handle bars in the shape as shown....

rays7.jpg

With a bit of normal Transform, reshape/move/rotate the image into place. At this point you may need to apply Sharpen to the image.

rays8.jpg

Lower the layer opacity. You can add a slight, soft blur if you wish or duplicate the ray layer and nudge a pixel or 2 to give it a fuller look.

rays9.jpg

Hope this helps you with some idea to use.

ibclare

Queen Bee

I would add two suggestions. Make the initial marquee rectangle so that it includes a bit more of the outskirts of the wind effect. I used both a shape blur and a guassian blur to get a blur effect that I liked. When you have your satisfactory effect on one layer, add a mask, take a soft black brush and add feathering to the edges.

As for the orange additon, I used a linear gradient purple to orange, then transformed it to fit the circle of the wind rays.

I followed dv8's tutorial and really - as he said we might - got the transform>warp part messed up with wavy lines, but I would continue to try to get it right or decide how much I want to get ithe effect exact.

Ddv8 has given you a great tutorial and you can experiment with it like I did. If you are a beginner in Photoshop, you may have trouble going any further. In that case, I guess the only thing I would alter from his tut is to like I said, add a mask and soften the edges so they radiate out in more irregular rays.

(oops, just noticed your second color is rose, not orange, but you get the idea)

ray.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee

BTW, if you change the blend mode on the smaller color layer to multiply and play with opacity, you will get a better lighting effect on the added color.

You should try the method Sam posted, but I think you'd have to paly with it as dv8 did, transforming it, etc.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator

- as he said we might - got the transform>warp part messed up with wavy lines, but I would continue to try to get it right or decide how much I want to get ithe effect exact.

It is tricky. But one can maintain the line shape. You need to know where to click - be it within the grid section, on a grid line or handle bar as well as what direction to drag.

I think the waviness on your rays is caused by an inner horizontal grid line with a deep bend or curl just before it intersects with the outer grid line.

gautamz07

Power User

You guys are still so awesome :D :clap: