What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi-Color

steveeyes

I'm still getting my feet wet with Photoshop. I own PS CS6. When I bought it, I thought for sure I would have time to learn it better but time was not on my side.

I do have a need to try to figure something out so I hope it is ok to ask here.

First the image:

paintFiverr.jpg

The person who did the above image used Photoshop. What stands out is how he used multi-colors without the colors overlapping into each other.

Next the Video

[video=youtube_share;Q2_FaAfmXgs]http://youtu.be/Q2_FaAfmXgs[/video]

What the video shows is how neatly he would draw a line and than paint it in with the same color as the line. I understand that the video itself was not created in photoshop, but to create the video, you first have to create a complete image (see image above) in photoshop . The purpose of the video is to show you the different stages of the design that makes up the final image above.

Wow, not sure I explained the above well, but hopefully someone can help. What I'm trying to figure out in Photoshop is how to create the final image showing each line and than filling it in with the same color as the line without the colors overlapping on to another color and still keeping all the different fill colors within each letter (not going out of line). Creating the final image with all its lines and colors in photoshop is a key ingredient to creating the video.

If someone can point me in the right direction (I'm a novice so please enough info to find things), it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Steve,

I don't thick Photoshop was used in the actual painting part, but it could have been used.

The BRUSH TOOL set to a Normal Brush mode,100% Opacity, 100% flow, will create the lines and the fill. The colors will of course overlap, and with maybe one exception, yellow over red, you will have sharp defined edges without bleed.

Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 7.45.48 AM.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a very quickly made GIF animation using the brush tool.

PaintingGIF_02.gif

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
There's one way, actually. Paint from Behind. Begin with one color in normal or behind brush mode then paint in the other colors using paint from behind brush setting.

You can alternate it if needed ..... normal - behind - normal -and so on......

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I missed this part......

What I'm trying to figure out in Photoshop is how to create the final image showing each line and than filling it in with the same color as the line without the colors overlapping on to another color and still keeping all the different fill colors within each letter (not going out of line).

If I understood you correctly...... create a mask of the text on a new layer and paint on the layer as outlined above.....

behind.jpg

steveeyes

wow guys thanks............I really appreciate the input. Now let me dive in and give it a try. Thanks again.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm sorry, earlier I forgot to mention that I was using a clipping mask clipped to white letters with a black stroke (layer style).............

Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 7.38.44 PM.png