What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stroke the same as Multi-Color Fill

steveeyes

Not sure if there is an easy way to do this or not.

Lets say I have an image with multi-colors but no stroke. For example lets say the image has hair that is brown, the face is pink, the shirt is yellow, the pants are red and the remaining fill colors are black.

I want to add a stroke to this image and have the stroke match the fill colors it is stroking. For example where the fill color for the hair is brown, I would want the stroke to be the same color of brown and where the shirt color is yellow, I want the stroke color to be yellow. When done I have a multi-color stroke that matches the fill colors of the image.

Once I have the multi-color stroke done, I would want to remove all the fill colors and have a stroke image only.

Is there an easy way to do this. Removing the fill I could probably figure out but how to create a multi-color storke that matches the fill colors is a head scratcher for me.

Thanks

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Depends, is the hair, face shirt, and pants on their own layers?

steveeyes

Actually it is a raster image that was created outside of photoshop. So the image -- hair, face, shirt, etc --, are on one layer.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One way would be to use the Color Range to create selections of the separate colors, copy the selections to their own layers, then use layer styles to add a stroke to them.

steveeyes

Not sure if a picture is worth a thousands words, but if it is here they are:

The image below was the starting image. It was open up in Photoshop and on one layer

Fill.jpg

The image below is the end result. He basically was able to outline (or stroke) the image. What is unique about the outline or stroke is that the stroke/outline color is multi-color. When the fill color is black the stroke color is black and so on. I know how to add a solid black (or one color) stroke. What I'm trying to figure out is how to add a multi-color stroke or outline that is the same color as the fill it is stroking.

stoke.jpg

I appreciate your replies, but so far I'm not getting it to work out. Any more thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

p.s. Last Thought. The person who did the above told me he used PhotoShop, but would not tell me how he did it. I have no proof he used photoshop, just his word. If you think another adobe product (i..e illustrator) did this, let me know.

Last edited:

Rich54

Guru
Here's how I would do it:
1. On a new layer, create a normal black stroke of the image using Edit>Stroke. Make sure to select an "inside" stroke.
2. Make a selection of the black stroke you have just created. Now turn off the visibility of the black stroke layer.
3. Activate the layer containing the original image and hit Ctrl-J. This will create a copy of the cartoon image, but it will only copy the portion covered by the selection.
4. Turn off the visibility of the original image and you should be left with only the multi-colored stroke.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Steve, do you have a larger image of the stroked version, this one is too small. At this point, I don't think it was a stroke at all.

colleague

Guru
It's like sam says , it's not a stroke

select the fox
select modify contract with 3 pixels
and delete

MrToM

Guru
To be honest, and no disrespect to Sam, I'd say that looking at those images you posted AND trying Rich54's method I'd say that's exactly how it was done.

The nose of the fox is the give-away:
for_fox_sake_01.png

colleague's method works just as well:

for_fox_sake_02.png

Both give the same result.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Let me say this, I don't think it's either a stroke or a contract technique. I have not yet said what I thought it was. But I will bow out of this since everyone seems to have this figured out.

steveeyes

Wow...this has to be one of the most helpful forums I ever used.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Same you helped me on another thread. I appreciate everyone giving feedback.

Last edited: