What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with fading, thanks

Locky

Hi,
Having a slight problem getting a equal fade. Img>fade transparently into the background. Was easy enough to do doing it on a straight edge but have had some difficulty getting a equal fade on the angular part of the picture to be all equal. Not sure if I have done the best at explaing this but hopefully someone will understand. thanks in advance for any help :)

Attachments

• Fade.jpg
    Fade.jpg
    802 KB · Views: 7

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Locky and welcome to PSG.

For some reason your post was marked as moderated, sorry about that.

Not sure at all what your needing here, something like this?

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 12.24.19 AM.png

Locky

Thanks Iamsam. No problem...

Your image is what iam able to do. What iam trying to do is get the fade extending up on the angled part. So the entire blue edge of the image equally fades into the white. Does this describe my problem accurately?

Tom Mann

Guru
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure of exactly what you are looking for, but I think it might be the attached effect. If it is, all you do is start with a sharp edged mask and apply a Gaussian blur to the mask.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• beach_scene_with_tranparency-1920x1200px-01.jpg
    beach_scene_with_tranparency-1920x1200px-01.jpg
    837.4 KB · Views: 5

ZipedX

Power User
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure of exactly what you are looking for, but I think it might be the attached effect. If it is, all you do is start with a sharp edged mask and apply a Gaussian blur to the mask.

HTH,

Tom M

I'm inclined to agree with you Tom. Hoping for mor info from Locky.

As for the method, an alternate version could be:
New layer with the shape > Layer mask and softbrush?

Last edited:

Locky

What Tom has done is essentially correct. I did try using a gauss/blur but couldn't get the fade looking deep enough. I guess you could say the fade effect iamsam has done is what iam after. But the area Tom has done it too is correct. Any way to merge these two ideas? Thanks :)

Tom Mann

Guru
Of course - just increase the radius of the blur to whatever you feel gives the optimal thickness to the transition region.

Tom M