What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I add a RGB split effect on a gif?

Raptor.exe

Hey guys! I have a question, how do I add a RGB split into all frames of a gif? Do I have to go through every frame/layer and add the effect?

Attachments

• gBC8UZe.psd
    1 MB · Views: 9

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Highlight your first frame in the time line, this will also highlight layer 1 in the layers panel.

In the layers panel, add a layer style with the RGB split. Click OK.
Right click the layer and select copy layer style.

In the layers panel, highlight layer 2 by clicking on it, hold down the shift key, go up to layer 81 and click, this should highlight all the layers in between.
Right click on the highlighted layer 81 and select paste layer style.

Done.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If your going for the 3D effect for this GIF, then your going to have to make some other changes.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
The only possibility is to apply the effect on all layers. You can record an action to automate the work - from the first step in the tute which is duplicating the layer .... to finally merging the 3.

To make the action work properly on all layers your using it on, you have to rename the layer used in creating the action as Layer A. Go ahead and use the YT tute to create the Action.

To use the action, rename the layer you'll be applying the action as Layer A. When done, rename layer back to it's usual numbering.

I hope you understand what I'm saying here.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Some of the issues you will run into on this particular GIF, is that you will need to separate the rabbit from the background on each of the layer 81 layers in order to add the split RGB effect. this will be a major pain in hindquarters if you don't have the original file. I managed to get an action to work on one layer at a time, but there was an anomalous blue rabbit contained in the file that I could never isolate and remove. I hope you have the original PSD the GIF was made from.

Raptor.exe

Unfortunately, I don't have the original PSD. Is it not okay just to apply the effect on the whole picture?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, actually you can! I was wrong!

I have played with the effect and it can be done with the existing GIF.

This is the first 10 frames.

CATRGB_01.gif

You have to delete all the frames in the timeline and start from scratch.
Starting with the first frame, duplicate layer 1 twice.

On the first duplicate open layer styles and tick off R, click OK.
On the second duplicate open layer styles and tick off G, click OK.

Next.....
On the first duplicate, select the MOVE TOOL, use the left directional arrow key to move the layer twice to the left.
On the second duplicate, with the MOVE TOOL again, use the right directional arrow key to move the layer twice to the right.

Add a new frame, turn off layer 1 and it's two duplicates. Start the whole process over with layer two.

I have not yet tried an action to speed up the process.