What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manipulating the background

gashmoney

I have an image where the subject is in the middle and has tobacco surround most of her. I need to make the tobacco cover the entire background, making it seem like shes lying in a gigantic pile of it (like American Beauty style). What would be the best way to go about doing this? I'm using photoshop CC and don't have too much knowledge in blending modes. Thank you in advance!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's much easier if you provide us with an image so we can walk you through the process.

MrToM

Guru
What would be the best way to go about doing this? I'm using photoshop CC and don't have too much knowledge in blending modes.

Good news!
No need for blending modes.:thumbsup:

Use the 'Clone Stamp' tool and / or the 'Healing Brush' tool.
Create a new blank layer above the image and work on that. (Set clone to 'This layer and below').

Should take no more than 5 mins.

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Yep, about 5 minutes
tobacco.JPG

gashmoney

i thought i could use that but i was wondering if there was a way to make it not look so repetitive because i feel the clone stamp can make things look too fake some times. idunno i was just checking to see what else there was. so the idea is more based off of this
american-beauty.jpg

Paul

Former Member
Three quick mask selections overlayed onto original two turned 90' softened edges with erasure (just for speed) i know Sam.

quickmask.jpg

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
The tobacco looks better than that...uugggh.
i thought i could use that but i was wondering if there was a way to make it not look so repetitive because i feel the clone stamp can make things look too fake some times. idunno i was just checking to see what else there was. so the idea is more based off of this
View attachment 48650

Tom Mann

Guru
Essentially, I think that what you really are looking for is a way to turn the limited amount of leaves in your original photo into a frame entirely covered with (non-repeating) tobacco leaves, and from there, you can do whatever you want with them.

If that is something that would help you, this is an ideal use of the content aware fill feature of the more recent versions of PS. Just select the existing tobacco leaves and put them on their own layer. Hit content aware fill to randomly fill in the remainder of that layer. After I did this, there were 3 or 4 fairly small areas that seemed to stand out, so I just used the patch tool to deal with them. Total time was less than a minute. Be sure to click through to the full rez version.

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• test-tjm01-acr0-ps01a_content_aware_fill-01_sRGB.jpg
    test-tjm01-acr0-ps01a_content_aware_fill-01_sRGB.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4

MikeMc

McGuru
Took my thoughts Tom :thumbsup:

I use Content aware more and more, then patch fills in.

A thought about using clone stamp...set your hardness to 25%...and use a bit larger brush size....softness does help blending things together

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A combination of both, the original and Toms random background.

TobaccoBeauty_01.jpg