What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Bulge" only arches text

janer

Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 8.08.35 AM.pngUsing Photoshop CS3

I'm simply trying make a 10 letter word bulge proportionately, bigger in the middle tapering smaller toward the ends. When I use the preset text warp option "bulge", it arches both the top and bottom of the text upward. I watched a video, followed the steps (bulge, horizontal, bend +41, both distortions 0) but my text just arches. If I play with the distortions, it just pulls the ends or tilts the text.

I tried Edit, Transform, Warp. The text box it created doesn't have an exact center point to grab along the top and bottom of the text box. Instead, there are four equidistant points, so trying to make the word bugle smoothly with a largest center peak is near impossible.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
It shouldn't respond that way. I tried just now and it bulged correctly with the settings you've mentioned.

I can't guarantee its a fix but try resetting PS preference.

M

Mat Dingwall

Are you sure you haven't accidentally got some blank lines under the word explosions?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't know how I missed this thread.

Hi and welcome Mat! Your absolutely right, I've had this happen before. To accept the text when you’re done, click on the checkmark in the Options Bar or by pressing ENTER on the NUMERIC keypad.

If you press the normal Enter or Return key on your KEYBOARD (not the numeric enter) to accept the text, it won’t work to accept the text because instead of accepting the text, it adds a line break to the text, allowing you to continue typing on a new line below the initial one.

With the line break in place, you will get the results you are getting when you use the BULGE feature in the CREATE WARP TEXT function. To remove the line break, just double click the text/type layers thumbnail, click to the end of the text on your canvas, use your directional arrows to go to the end of the line (cursor should stop at line break) and then hit the delete key until the line break (or space) is removed. Hit the checkmark to accept the changes!

janer

I don't know how I missed this thread.

Hi and welcome Mat! Your absolutely right, I've had this happen before. To accept the text when you’re done, click on the checkmark in the Options Bar or by pressing ENTER on the NUMERIC keypad.

If you press the normal Enter or Return key on your KEYBOARD (not the numeric enter) to accept the text, it won’t work to accept the text because instead of accepting the text, it adds a line break to the text, allowing you to continue typing on a new line below the initial one.

With the line break in place, you will get the results you are getting when you use the BULGE feature in the CREATE WARP TEXT function. To remove the line break, just double click the text/type layers thumbnail, click to the end of the text on your canvas, use your directional arrows to go to the end of the line (cursor should stop at line break) and then hit the delete key until the line break (or space) is removed. Hit the checkmark to accept the changes!

Brilliant thinking! But… I tried that before submitting my question and there wasn't any additional hidden lines. Since submitting the question, what DID work, was reducing the size of the text box to tightly fit the size of the word after it was typed. Then hit "bulge" and the word bulged correctly. (Actually, the bulge wasn't equally bulged on the bottom as it was on the top, but it was close.) In other words, the text box bulges, not the word within the text box.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting, I hardly ever use a text box unless required by a layout. I just click where I want the text to be and type. Then bulge will work on the text itself.

janer

Interesting, I hardly ever use a text box unless required by a layout. I just click where I want the text to be and type. Then bulge will work on the text itself.

Wow, there's a reason I'm in the Newbie thread! I didnt know you could type without first making a text box! Thanks for teaching me something new!