What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Layers...editing

sofaclese

Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 17.26.14.png
Hey! New to the forums here but imagine I'll be on them alot more!
Wondering if anybody can help me...
As you can see from the screen shot above I am in the middle of editing an image which I have started on by Retouching and Dodging and Burning....Now...
At this point I always get stuck, I wanted to do some sharpening and other bits and pieces that would effect the result of the below layers combined but can't work out how to.
Basically loading up tutorials on sharpening and other things similar they say ok so ...copy background layer (cmnd J) but obviously doing this will just bring the original image to the top without the layers I've been working on... but what I want to work on is the combination of the layers that has lead me to my current retouched version.

It's almost definitely something really straight forward but I'm yet to learn this yet!
Is there a way to do it without flattening the image/merging the layers etc so that I still have all the layers there in case I want to go back and edit on them individually at a later point?

Any help would be huuuugely appreciated!!

All the best

Sam

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Sharpening is a filter operation. Save your document for Smart Filters and then you have control. If you want to apply an adjustment layer so that it effects only the layer below it, hold your cursor over the adjustment layer and hold down the ALT key (Windows) until a down pointing arrow appears and then click. Then only the layer immediately below is effected.
[QU
OTE=sofaclese;1533693321]View attachment 48620
Hey! New to the forums here but imagine I'll be on them alot more!
Wondering if anybody can help me...
As you can see from the screen shot above I am in the middle of editing an image which I have started on by Retouching and Dodging and Burning....Now...
At this point I always get stuck, I wanted to do some sharpening and other bits and pieces that would effect the result of the below layers combined but can't work out how to.
Basically loading up tutorials on sharpening and other things similar they say ok so ...copy background layer (cmnd J) but obviously doing this will just bring the original image to the top without the layers I've been working on... but what I want to work on is the combination of the layers that has lead me to my current retouched version.

It's almost definitely something really straight forward but I'm yet to learn this yet!
Is there a way to do it without flattening the image/merging the layers etc so that I still have all the layers there in case I want to go back and edit on them individually at a later point?

Any help would be huuuugely appreciated!!

All the best

Sam[/QUOTE]

sofaclese

Hey thanks for the reply...
Should have said I'm on a mac...what do I press for that? Not sure I understand, so if I do that will it effect all of the below retouch layers, because that's what I want to do.

sofaclese

and presumably you meant convert for sharp filters yes? thank you so much again for the help!

hawkeye

Guru
On a PC, select the top layer hit ctrl+shift+alt+E to make a merged layer for sharpening,while keeping the other layers in tact.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Yes Convert is correct. I think on a Mac it's the Option key.