What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free Transform box moves

puppychew

Power User
Hi - I have used the Transform function to alter the shape of an object. It worked fine.
Later I needed to tweak it. I went into the Transform function and the box with the little grips was way over on the opposite side of the screen. Something similar had happened before. My small object's grips enlarged to the full screen. It was not easy to modify it when it was off the screen.

What do I do to make the transform box with the grips return to the original size?

Is the small object on it's own layer?

You can view the entirety of the transform box by hitting Command/Control + 0 (zero) while in the transform function.

It is on its own layer. Cntrl 0 brings the screen into view but the transform box is on the far left of the image and the object layer that I am transforming is on the far right of the image. I have no idea how and why it moved.

Yeah, this ones a hard call without an example. Can you take a screenshot?

This has happened many times. The object is in one spot and the box somehow moves to another spot when looking at the screen. Usually when I transform an object it, the object is boxed in. The object was boxed in but then somehow moved. Other times it doesn't move but the box then outlines the entire image.

There is a reasonable explanation for why this happens because it doesn't just, "somehow move". This has happened to me before but it was a result of something I did and not just some random anomaly occurring in Photoshop. Without an example or the PSD file it's hard to explain what you need to do.

If the object is on it's own layer and has not been added, merged, or otherwise connected, linked, or clipped with another layer, and your selecting it's layer, then the transform box should only be around the object.

If you believe that it's not something your doing and it's Photoshop, then reset your preferences and see if that cures the problem. If' no, it's a matter of examining your workflow in your layers panel in the project where the problem is occurring.

If you don't want the file to be public, your more than welcome to PM myself or any other trusted member and arrange for the file to examined privately. Good luck!

The way I fixed it was to rasterize the smart object. A screen show wouldn't help to show because of the smart object but only attaching the PS file which I don't think I can do because of its size. In the future I have to pay attention to see if this problem always occurs when transforming a smart object.

Thanks!

As you yourself have already stated, converting to a smart object should not matter. But if rasterizing helped, then I'm happy if you are! I will run some tests on smart objects to see if it happens to me. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Back