What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint bucket is not working correctly.

BillCosby

I currently have two layers on my image.

I am trying to use the basic paint bucket fill tool, and when I try to use it fills the entire layer (When I have the top layer selected), or it fills everything of the same color all across the image (When the bottom layer is placed as the top layer) It was working before, but now it is not. I have tried deleting my preferences file to reset any options I may have mistakenly edited, but it did nothing.

I am not entirely sure how to describe my problem any further. I am a total newb when it comes to photoshop. (I am using CS6 on Vista)

MrToM

Guru
What exactly is the problem?

Your two descriptions are exactly how the paint bucket works, depending on layer content, so what isn't it doing for you?

Regards.
MrTom.

BillCosby

I am making a map, for a project. On one layer, I did the land. And on a second layer, I used the brush to add black borders to each of the countries on the map. On the second layer, I am trying to use the paint bucket to fill the areas within the borders, so each country has its own unique color. However, it fills the entire image, except the black borders.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, my previous post I had to delete, it was wrong.

Post a screen shot of your layers panel please so we can see what you may be doing wrong.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If the land/countries are all on one layer, then then you will have to isolate each country in order to give it a unique color.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If your interested, here's one way of doing this based on your description.

Here I have a country/land in all white on the first layer.

Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 9.55.15 PM.png

Here, I have the countries provinces outlined in black on the second layer.

Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 9.55.29 PM.png

Here is the layers panel....

Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 9.55.41 PM.png

If I want to give a province a special color, I would select the black outlines layer.
Select my MAGIC WAND TOOL with the Sample size set to point sample, tolerance set to 8, anti-alias and contiguous checked.
On the canvas, click once inside the province I want to add color to (or country in your case)
This will make a selection of that province/country.

The one in the middle..
Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 10.04.42 PM.png

Create a new layer at the top of the layers, make sure it's highlighted.
Then select my PAINT BUCKET TOOL, select a color and then click within the selection to add color.
Command/Control + D to deselect.

Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 10.07.06 PM.png

The rest is just repeating the above step.

You can create a new layer for each province/country, or you can put them all on the same layer.
Just remember to go back an forth between the black outline layer and the province/country color layer.

Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 10.11.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 10.11.46 PM.png

That's it.

MrToM

Guru
Thanks Sam.....I got held up with other stuff.

Regards.
MrTom.