What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stencil or Silhouette Effect

Nikki Neal

Hi, first forum post. Im a screen printer learning how to design for printing. In this post, I am trying to create a silhouette of all dark areas of a color image ( bridge with suspension cables, some water and horizon- no sun). I am not getting the results I am looking for.

skyway-original.jpg

My steps:
1. mode > grayscale
2. adjustments > threshold

S-Shot 2014-09-04 at 11.07.00 AM.JPGS-Shot 2014-09-04 at 11.11.47 AM.JPG

When adjusting the levels, either I lose some of the detail that is needed or the results becomes too dark. See attachment.

Do I have other options to create a silhouette without using the pen tool?

Thanks
/Nikki

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
There are other ways. here's one.....

Click the red channel in the Channels palette. This will turn off the other channels. Is the result a good start for you? There's more to it to get a finished image .... but I gotta go to get a hot ginger drink..... lol.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
As I said , this is one way. Others may have other ideas. What works depends on the look you're going for.

Create a new layer above background image and fill white. Hide this layer. Create another layer (2) above this for your fill.

CTRL+click the red channel to create a selection of the bridge and other details. INVERSE selection.

Unhide white fill layer and click on layer 2 to make it active. Fill black. You may repeat the fill to get a richer look. In this example, I used fill once. Deselect.

Merge this down to the white layer. Play with Levels to bring out the darker tones and brighten the whites.

You may need a bit of clone tool work to retouch unwanted areas or add a bit more detail.

skyway-lizad.jpg

Nikki Neal

As I said , this is one way. Others may have other ideas. What works depends on the look you're going for.

Create a new layer above background image and fill white. Hide this layer. Create another layer (2) above this for your fill......

Yes, just tried your option and it produced a nice result. - Thanks for your speedy input. : )