What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to crop many nearly identical images the exact same amount?

martinsyro

I need to crop many nearly identical images in a square shape. I have pse11 and when I do each one manually they don't come out identical. Is there a way to show some type of measurements or dimensions when I crop so I can copy the same crop on several images to make them look identical?
Thanks!

Tom Mann

Guru
Unfortunately, I don't use Elements and don't even have a copy I can play with, but in any of the full versions of PS for at least the last 5 or more years, you would just type in the desired crop dimensions (ie, in pixels, inches, etc.) and the image would be cropped to exactly that size.

A slightly more difficult task is how to specify what area of the original you want to remain after cropping in each of the pix, e.g., the exact center of the image, the lower left hand corner of the crop is at the lower left hand corner of the original image, x inches from the left, etc. To do this in the full version of PS, I would use its "snap-to-guides" feature. I don't know if Elements has guides or.a similar "snap-to-guides" feature, but you should be able to look it up.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
I had a moment and just checked: The crop tool in Elements looks like it works almost identically to how it works in the full version of PS.

Specifically, you definitely can type in exact numerical dimensions (in various units). This is discussed / shown here:
http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/cropping.html and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6zjCufV9P4 (after about 30 seconds into the video)

It also appears that Elements has a "snap-to" option, like its big brother. So, you should be good to go.

HTH,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
You could also layer each of them in the same picture and then crop them all to the same size together.
The OP did say that he had "many" pictures to process, so unless you are using a 64 bit OS, the corresponding 64 bit version of PS and have a decent amount of memory in your computer, I would only recommend the approach you suggested if a relatively small number of pix were involved. With the limited memory available in older 32 bit machines it would be quite easy to slow the machine to a crawl and/or crash PS if, say, a couple of dozen (or more) full size images were involved.

Tom M