What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are You Afraid of The Dark?

Ben Thorne

Hey everyone. I'm a newbie and I'm needing some help. I'd like to create a graphic with the following effect:

Are-You-afraid-of-the-dark.jpg

I want to add my own text and I can get a stock image of a hand with a match. I just can't figure out how to make the text appear as if it is lit by the match only.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Put your text on a layer as desired.

Create a blank layer above it. Set your brush on white, zero hardness, about 8% opacity, and about 2500 pixels. Start right in the center of the layer, and then alternate LMC (left mouse click) / LEFT BRACKET (one key to the right of the letter P). You will see your brush get smaller and smaller, and you will fill the layer, gradually, with white, which will get more opaque as it moves toward the center.

Change the blend mode of that layer to OVERLAY in the Layers Palette, and see how it looks. If you want more brightness, just add more white with your brush.

If you really want to replicate the light from a match, maybe use a nearly white yellow color.

Agent Moeller

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can also use the GRADIENT TOOL set to a foreground to background preset. Use your gradient editor set the colors. The foreground to transparent preset will also work.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Ben, I would love to see your version of this effect!

Here's what I came up with using a gradient.

MatchLight_02.jpg

Last edited: