What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction help?

Astairical

Hi there everybody. I use Photoshop CS6 to make animated gifs from movies. I do this by opening the movie in VLC and taking screenshots, which I save to a folder. I open them in Photoshop by creating a document the same size as the screenshot, and then dragging the screenshots into the canvas. Usually, this method works fine, but today I've been having a problem with trying to gif How to Steal a Million.
screenie 2.png
When I drag the screenshot into the canvas, it is stretched out like this. I have to painstakingly drag the edges of the rectangle with a cross over it to the edges of the canvas to correct it, so that it looks like this:
screenie 1.png
Normally, the sizes of the images I work with are 720px by 540px. This is 853px by 480px. Does it have any bearing on the problem? I can't be dragging the edges for every single frame. I've had this problem with another movie, too, and both How to Steal a Million and that other movie were filmed in the Widescreen format that was popular during the time.

About the title: when I'm not making gifs, rather, I'm editing screenshots from the movie (adding a psd coloring, sharpening, cropping, etc.), I simply drag the screenshot from the folder into Photoshop. No new canvas stuff. I always have to turn off pixel aspect ratio correction. Could it possibly have anything to do with this? And, if at all possible, could that feature be turned off, so that I can be saved an extra step every time I edit a screenshot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

MrToM

Guru
There are a couple of things you can try:

1. Check the 'Pixel Aspect Ratio' under View > 'Pixel Aspect Ratio'.
It should be set to 'Square'.

2. Edit > Preferences > General
CHECK 'Resize Image During Place'

This should resize the image to the dimensions of the canvas....so if your image IS the same size as the canvas it should slot right in.

Regards.
MrTom.

Astairical

There are a couple of things you can try:

1. Check the 'Pixel Aspect Ratio' under View > 'Pixel Aspect Ratio'.
It should be set to 'Square'.

2. Edit > Preferences > General
CHECK 'Resize Image During Place'

This should resize the image to the dimensions of the canvas....so if your image IS the same size as the canvas it should slot right in.

Regards.
MrTom.

Hi there, MrTom. Thank you for your reply. I've checked both the things you've said. The "square" option is checked and so is "resize image during place". However, I am still having the same problem.

Astairical

Hey there, MrTom, thank you for your reply. I have checked both of the things that you said and I am still having the same problem. Any further suggestions?